New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Does Big First Year Plant = Big Harvest?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
FuzzeWuzze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FuzzeWuzze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 1,668
Liked 163 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Does Big First Year Plant = Big Harvest?

So im trying not to get too excited, but my first year cascade is probably 21 feet tall now with some crazy 3-4 foot sidearms out each side, tons of leaf nodes, nice and green.

I realize that most first year plants you dont get much harvest, but im assuming thats because they look like my other plants which are still like 6 feet tall and growing, i'll be happy to get a oz or two off those plants combined...

Is it possible that this thing wont give me many hops? Can hops plants get super big and not produce flowers?

The plant in question as of a few days ago, its another foot down the side rope at this point.



FuzzeWuzze is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
HydroGeologist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HydroGeologist's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saratoga County, NY
Posts: 53
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Pretty sure you can count on getting a bunch of hops off that plant. Look at those side-arms!! What have you been feeding that thing?! Looks great for a first year plant.



__________________
HydroGeologist is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
FuzzeWuzze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FuzzeWuzze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 1,668
Liked 163 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Nothing, which is the crazy thing. It just got put in compost/manure/topsoil mix like my Newport and Columbus...two rhizomes each variety.

For the Cascade i think a total of 5 bines broke the surface so all of them are going up, the biggest one is probably nearly as thick as my pinky.

The Newport is only like 7' the Columbus maybe 5'. I only recently started fertilizing the Newport and Columbus with MG because they were starting to yellow and didnt really grow much for a few weeks.

FuzzeWuzze is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
funnycreature's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New House, WV
Posts: 833
Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGeologist View Post
Pretty sure you can count on getting a bunch of hops off that plant. Look at those side-arms!! What have you been feeding that thing?! Looks great for a first year plant.
The side arms of my hops are winding up the twine as well. Would it be better to train them onto an adjacent twine instead? I already have cones so I'm not too worried...
__________________
Brütal Brews - Infüsing Craft Beer with Metal since 2013
funnycreature is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
B-Hoppy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
B-Hoppy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ohio
Posts: 1,184
Liked 102 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
So im trying not to get too excited, but my first year cascade is probably 21 feet tall now with some crazy 3-4 foot sidearms out each side, tons of leaf nodes, nice and green.

I realize that most first year plants you dont get much harvest, but im assuming thats because they look like my other plants which are still like 6 feet tall and growing, i'll be happy to get a oz or two off those plants combined...

Is it possible that this thing wont give me many hops? Can hops plants get super big and not produce flowers?

The plant in question as of a few days ago, its another foot down the side rope at this point.
There's a reason why they named the baseball team after HOPS! Sure you can get a decent harvest from first year plants so just enjoy the ride and watch out for next year!
__________________

"Neil & I would've tweeted from the moon if we could have but I would prefer to tweet from Mars. Maybe by 2040" ~ @TheRealBuzz, Buzz Aldrin 11:20 PM - 04 Jan 13

B-Hoppy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
FuzzeWuzze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FuzzeWuzze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 1,668
Liked 163 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Hoppy View Post
There's a reason why they named the baseball team after HOPS! Sure you can get a decent harvest from first year plants so just enjoy the ride and watch out for next year!
Lol yea, I gotta get out to one of their games.

Next year is going to be crazy i can already see some modifications ill need to make to my trellis , i like having the 4 strings as i can run the sidearms up them so they dont reach out and touch the other varieties. I did it this year but it was an after thought so not all of them were able to be put on it as they were too long.


__________________
HOWTO - Build a BrewPi Fermentation Chamber Cheap

Arduino Real Time Fermentation Monitor

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!
FuzzeWuzze is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
85 year old hop plant... bkelley0804 Hops Growing 79 08-21-2012 01:17 PM
Harvest from 2nd year cascade plant shanecb Hops Growing 4 08-06-2012 11:54 PM
First year plant MoPhunk Hops Growing 1 04-11-2011 04:04 AM
Ok to Harvest some of the plant? nate4g63 Hops Growing 8 08-03-2010 05:33 PM
1st year plant harvest Bigfish713 Hops Growing 1 09-18-2009 02:03 PM