Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Does Big First Year Plant = Big Harvest?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Does Big First Year Plant = Big Harvest?

So im trying not to get too excited, but my first year cascade is probably 21 feet tall now with some crazy 3-4 foot sidearms out each side, tons of leaf nodes, nice and green.

I realize that most first year plants you dont get much harvest, but im assuming thats because they look like my other plants which are still like 6 feet tall and growing, i'll be happy to get a oz or two off those plants combined...

Is it possible that this thing wont give me many hops? Can hops plants get super big and not produce flowers?

The plant in question as of a few days ago, its another foot down the side rope at this point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
HydroGeologist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Pretty sure you can count on getting a bunch of hops off that plant. Look at those side-arms!! What have you been feeding that thing?! Looks great for a first year plant.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nothing, which is the crazy thing. It just got put in compost/manure/topsoil mix like my Newport and Columbus...two rhizomes each variety.

For the Cascade i think a total of 5 bines broke the surface so all of them are going up, the biggest one is probably nearly as thick as my pinky.

The Newport is only like 7' the Columbus maybe 5'. I only recently started fertilizing the Newport and Columbus with MG because they were starting to yellow and didnt really grow much for a few weeks.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGeologist View Post
Pretty sure you can count on getting a bunch of hops off that plant. Look at those side-arms!! What have you been feeding that thing?! Looks great for a first year plant.
The side arms of my hops are winding up the twine as well. Would it be better to train them onto an adjacent twine instead? I already have cones so I'm not too worried...

Check out my wife's etsy store where she offers soaps made with my beer!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
So im trying not to get too excited, but my first year cascade is probably 21 feet tall now with some crazy 3-4 foot sidearms out each side, tons of leaf nodes, nice and green.

I realize that most first year plants you dont get much harvest, but im assuming thats because they look like my other plants which are still like 6 feet tall and growing, i'll be happy to get a oz or two off those plants combined...

Is it possible that this thing wont give me many hops? Can hops plants get super big and not produce flowers?

The plant in question as of a few days ago, its another foot down the side rope at this point.
There's a reason why they named the baseball team after HOPS! Sure you can get a decent harvest from first year plants so just enjoy the ride and watch out for next year!

"Neil & I would've tweeted from the moon if we could have but I would prefer to tweet from Mars. Maybe by 2040" ~ @TheRealBuzz, Buzz Aldrin 11:20 PM - 04 Jan 13

Old 06-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Hoppy View Post
There's a reason why they named the baseball team after HOPS! Sure you can get a decent harvest from first year plants so just enjoy the ride and watch out for next year!
Lol yea, I gotta get out to one of their games.

Next year is going to be crazy i can already see some modifications ill need to make to my trellis , i like having the 4 strings as i can run the sidearms up them so they dont reach out and touch the other varieties. I did it this year but it was an after thought so not all of them were able to be put on it as they were too long.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Quick Reply