HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > do not worry about poor growing 1st year palnts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #11
DrinksWellWithOthers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Did anyone plant any Willamette this year? This is my first attempt at growing hops and my Willamette is only about 6 or 7 ft tall but not flowering. My cascades, on the other hand, are over 13 ft have tons of hops and my Centennial is just starting to flower.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
balto charlie

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
Did anyone plant any Willamette this year? This is my first attempt at growing hops and my Willamette is only about 6 or 7 ft tall but not flowering. My cascades, on the other hand, are over 13 ft have tons of hops and my Centennial is just starting to flower.
same results for me. My Cascade and Nugget rhizomes were huge and produce well for 1st year plants, Willamette looks good but only 8 ft tall no buds, hallertauer and fuggles 6 ft and struggling. I think rhizome condition and variety will produce different results. I contacted a hop researcher from Oregon and he recommended Cascade, Nugget, cluster and another variety as good growers. he was right about cascade and nugget. charlie
edit: the rhizomes from the haller and Fugs were scrawny, the Willamette was better but not as big as C & N

Primary
On Deck Red IPA

Last edited by balto charlie; 09-02-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #13
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

this may seem odd but i planted my first year hops and one produced cones and one didint. Now that "harvest" is done should i cut them back or just let them grow? they are continuing to produce new side shoots and keep in mind im in SOCAL so its fairly warm all year.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #14
Stratotankard

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I'd let them grow for a while yet. They'll continue to feed the roots as long as they grow. Maybe mid/late October cut them back if they haven't died back by then. Someone else may be more knowledgeable on your locale, but once you get a frost and they start going brown it's time to cut them back. Obviously you don't get much (any?) frost in SOCAL, but the timing would be about right I guess.

terje

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 AM   #15
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratotankard View Post
I'd let them grow for a while yet. They'll continue to feed the roots as long as they grow. Maybe mid/late October cut them back if they haven't died back by then. Someone else may be more knowledgeable on your locale, but once you get a frost and they start going brown it's time to cut them back. Obviously you don't get much (any?) frost in SOCAL, but the timing would be about right I guess.

terje
thank you....and yes we havent had any snow for...a while

Old 09-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #16
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thats nice to know, because the August heat was brutal on mine, out of the four I planted only one of them has much of anything left.

I'm thinking of building a nice bed for them, and digging them up and moving them somewhere else - I don't really like where I planted them anyway, they are in the way.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #17
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I planted Willamette, early in the season it was coming on strong - lots of growth - plenty of leaves and green. But it was the first one to succumb to the heat, not much left of it at all now.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
salad 419
Recipes 

Quote:
I planted a first year Williamette and my results are similar. In fact, if it makes you feel better, my Goldings and Chinook look the same. No flowers, no cones, and about 7 feet tall.

I guess the key to a good first year is getting Cascades. They seem to rock.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #19
butler1850
Recipes 

My 2nd year Galenas are budded out nicely. I can't wait to make my first brew with them.

The 2nd year Willamettes grew to about 10ft, but no cones. It was a wee little rhizome when it planted, and only was about 3ft tall last year.

I expect that next year will be amazing for the Galenas, and better for the Willamettes.

The Galenas have made my deck (10' up from ground level) very attractive, and fragrant!

Quick Reply