Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Dig up or let sit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
drez77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Dig up or let sit?

I bought and planted 4 varieties of rhizomes, Cascades, Centennial, Goldings and Chinooks. All but the Cascade were regular sized rhizomes so I took the advice of Vinnie Cilurzo ( TBN podcast) and planted 2 rhizomes per hole. All but the Chinook have started to come up. Would it be better to just sit and wait to see if the Chinook take off or should I dig them up and see it they look ok or dead? Or am i just being a nervous hop grower??

Thanks,

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Leave them in the ground! Do not Touch! If you dig them up improperly you will definitely kill them. Based on the fact that you asked this question, you probably will dig them up incorrectly so it is best to just leave them.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 05-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Let nature do what nature's been doing since before we humans ever walked this planet....GROW THINGS!

Do not dig them up...Do not touch them! Go get a book on gardenning, or brew another batch of beer to take your mind off things...

Your job is done for the most part, you dug a hole and planted them...Weed, feed and water if that's what the instructions say to do....but let them do what they know what to do best...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

That was my original feeling to just leave it alone. Just wanted to verify that was the best plan.

mike

Old 05-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I concur, patience. You gain nothing by digging them unless you plan on buying new Rhizomes if the current ones are dead.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

On a similar note...Would you also recommend not tampering with plants if you've had shoots that grew out, quite well, some over a foot, and then simply died later? I gave them fertilizers and pot ash, etc, watered them regularly but not too much and kept them exposed to light, either natural or a plant bulb for 15 hours a day. Still, my Magnum died and my Cascade snapped at the base and died as a result. I figure if the roots are still growing, there's no point messing with them.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

How long ago did the shoots die back, and what was the reason with the Magnum? If they haven't reproduced shoots, chances are they are gone. Indoors is tricky, especially watering. And the thing that is bad with watering indoors, is that quite often when a serious problem (like root rot) shows evidence, it is usually too late to intervene. Often with plants just starting out, (especially in pots) it is often better to withhold fertilization until the plant becomes somewhat established and then only lightly. It is mainly growing off of reserved stores until the root system is developed.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01 View Post
How long ago did the shoots die back, and what was the reason with the Magnum? If they haven't reproduced shoots, chances are they are gone. Indoors is tricky, especially watering. And the thing that is bad with watering indoors, is that quite often when a serious problem (like root rot) shows evidence, it is usually too late to intervene. Often with plants just starting out, (especially in pots) it is often better to withhold fertilization until the plant becomes somewhat established and then only lightly. It is mainly growing off of reserved stores until the root system is developed.
That stinks. I guess I'll just plant them outside and see what happens. At this point, there isn't much more of a loss that could occur.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Here's how I'd proceed, given what we know. Carefully draw back the soil and examine the Rhizome for buds forming. If those are present and it looks healthy, look at the roots, if you see lots of fine hairy rootlets, then the plants are probably OK. If you see neither of these, you can dig a hole and toss them in and just see what happens. What are your short term goals, originally? Did you plan on growing them indoors until transplant time?

When you do this, go slowly and just expose what you need to in order to find out what the status is.

PS. Has it been days or weeks since they died back?

Last edited by zoebisch01; 05-08-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My goal was to give the rhizomes a head start until temperatures stabilized over in here in ND. As you know, the Magnum and Cascade have prematurely bit it...possibly. Anyway, I'd say that the Magnum is in the process of dying as we speak, but has pretty much given up the ghost. The Cascade stalk had snapped earlier this week and died a day afterward. I suppose I could carefully root around and peel back the dirt to see what's going on. My fear is that it's probably root rot, since I've seen to their nutritional needs.

Quick Reply