The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Did beetle kill my plant, they are the top off.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
BigTexBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Did beetles kill my plant, they ate the top off.

My Nugget has been getting eaten alive by beetles. I have caught two in the act, one got away and the other is trapped under a glass for his buddies to watch him die. I got home yesterday to find that instead of just eating some small holes in the bottom half of the plant (about 6th tall right now) they have devoured whole leaves towards the top now. Also they ate all my hop flowers . My major concern is that they also ate the end of the bine, so now it looks like someone cut the top off and I'm wondering if it will keep growing. Is this years Nugget production over with or will the bine be able to keep growing without the origional top?

Last edited by BigTexBrewer; 05-18-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Incorrect spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4576 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexBrewer View Post
My Nugget has been getting eaten alive by beetles. I have caught two in the act, one got away and the other is trapped under a glass for his buddies to watch him die. I got home yesterday to find that instead of just eating some small holes in the bottom half of the plant (about 6th tall right now) they have devoured whole leaves towards the top now. Also they ate all my hop flowers . My major concern is that they also ate the end of the bine, so now it looks like someone cut the top off and I'm wondering if it will keep growing. Is this years Nugget production over with or will the bine be able to keep growing without the origional top?
They will send out side-arms from the top growth nodes and these can climb. It won't produce as well, of course, but it can still grow and put some energy back into the crown if you don't have other bines starting off that can be trained and replace it. You're still early enough in the season that it would be preferential to train newer emerging bines, as long as you have them (like if this is a first year rhizome, for example)

Mmm, hot and wet beef.-marubozo

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply