Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Cutting/Pruning 2nd Year Cascade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
$bill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cutting/Pruning 2nd Year Cascade

I have a Cascade plant, second year of growth. Shoots are coming up, as you can see in the picture below. I've read that only 4-6 of the bines should be allowed to grow to maturity, but I'm probably not going to be brewing this year, so I wonder if there is any harm in letting it go. Last year it grew like gangbusters, after surviving a couple of years of neglect in a pot.

Would it be safe to assume that the crown will grow in proportion to the number of bines it is supporting? So in other words, lots of bines means a healthier crown for next year?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
nagmay
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 101

"but I'm probably not going to be brewing this year"

Well, that's a shame. What about next year? Pack the hops in freeze and they will last a really long time.

Back to your real question:
Letting all the shoots go is fine. It may produce a massive tangle and be hard to pick, but it won't hurt the plant in any significant way.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by $bill View Post
Last year it grew like gangbusters, after surviving a couple of years of neglect in a pot.

Would it be safe to assume that the crown will grow in proportion to the number of bines it is supporting? So in other words, lots of bines means a healthier crown for next year?

You answered you own question. If it grew like gangbusters after years of neglect in a pot, it's a pretty safe bet that you could keep hitting the new growth with a flame thrower and it would still grow fine. Honestly, now that you have it in the ground you'll have nothing to worry about (other than keeping the rhizomes from creeping) no matter how many shoots you let climb. Sure, the more shoots you let climb the more food will be sent down into the crown but once it's established (like it is) you're good to go. Happy growing!

Quick Reply