Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Cutting back hops for winter.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
leadingzero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 24
Likes Given: 2

Default Cutting back hops for winter.

Hello all,

I have a first year northern brewer vine growing in a container. It's dec and the plant is still doing really well and I live in San Francisco so our winters are generally mild. The information that I have read or heard on podcasts recommends to cut them back after every season. This plant has not flowered and I expected little out of it in the first year. When should I cut the vines back on this plant? Should I cut them back?
Thanks,
-leadingzero

__________________
leadingzero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
HoppyMaltPoet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 392
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I cut mine back last month. You should cut them back before it snows. Cover them with some mulch after you cut them back.

EDIT: Just saw where you live. Not sure how much snow you actually get in San Fran (once every few decades maybe). Someone may be able to answer this better that may live in a similar climate. Sorry for the misinformation.

__________________
Workers of the earth! I bring... good tidings of peanuts! And beer!
HoppyMaltPoet is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
leadingzero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 24
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppyMaltPoet View Post
I cut mine back last month. You should cut them back before it snows. Cover them with some mulch after you cut them back.

EDIT: Just saw where you live. Not sure how much snow you actually get in San Fran (once every few decades maybe). Someone may be able to answer this better that may live in a similar climate. Sorry for the misinformation.
We had snow last year! It snowed one day and the daytime temps were 39 degrees. It was freezing and the snow was only in higher elevations! Anyway, thanks for the info even though it doesn't relate to my situation. You would recommend putting mulch on a container plant?
__________________
leadingzero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
HoppyMaltPoet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 392
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

No my Hops are in the ground outside. We get plenty of snowfall (had a storm with over a foot last winter and sometimes over 2) and way below freezing temps every year. I read that keeping them above ground with possible temps like that could kill the plants, so I opted to plant them in the ground. Although I have heard some successful stories of potted bines.

__________________
Workers of the earth! I bring... good tidings of peanuts! And beer!
HoppyMaltPoet is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
leadingzero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 24
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppyMaltPoet View Post
No my Hops are in the ground outside. We get plenty of snowfall (had a storm with over a foot last winter and sometimes over 2) and way below freezing temps every year. I read that keeping them above ground with possible temps like that could kill the plants, so I opted to plant them in the ground. Although I have heard some successful stories of potted bines.
Thanks! I think I got all the information I need from this post:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/chopping-winter-198696/

I guess i will just let them die back. The rainy season is on our doorstep here is the bay area and that means a lot of clouds and rain so I think the lack of sun will cause them to die back for the winter. Although, we're in La Nina winter so the prediction is for less rain this season. We'll see? Thanks again,
-leadingzero
__________________
leadingzero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 03:20 AM   #6
HoppedIPA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Overland Park, Ks, Kansas
Posts: 193
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

yes let them die back naturally if you try to cut them back before they have gone to "rest" you will encourage them to start growing vs go into the dormant stage..

__________________

i got beer in the keg thats what matters!
OH and dont forget ..SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed, i.e. wife for me..

HoppedIPA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
leadingzero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 24
Likes Given: 2

Default

I will let them die. The vines started budding and have more buds on the plant then i can count? Do you think i will have get some hops off the plant? It's starting to get cloudy and rainy on a regular basis here so I think they will die back from lack of sun. Thanks,
-leadingzero

__________________
leadingzero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
leadingzero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 24
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppedIPA View Post
yes let them die back naturally if you try to cut them back before they have gone to "rest" you will encourage them to start growing vs go into the dormant stage..
Should I stop watering the plant? I just got a hand full of hops that I through in my nut brown that I was brewing on Monday. I know it won't impart anything to the brew I just did it for kicks.

The plant is still growing and it's going to be 60 and sunny all next week. Should I continue my watering schedule or just stop completely? Thanks,

-leadingzero
__________________
leadingzero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
thantos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
thantos's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 171
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingzero View Post
Should I stop watering the plant? I just got a hand full of hops that I through in my nut brown that I was brewing on Monday. I know it won't impart anything to the brew I just did it for kicks.

The plant is still growing and it's going to be 60 and sunny all next week. Should I continue my watering schedule or just stop completely? Thanks,

-leadingzero
I am in the Bay Area also, I would stop watering as that's what I did, we are getting enough rain fall so it wont matter.
__________________

"I love the Devil, Cause the Devil is Rock n Roll ! ! !"

thantos is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
leadingzero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 24
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos View Post
I am in the Bay Area also, I would stop watering as that's what I did, we are getting enough rain fall so it wont matter.
Thanks Thantos, I will stop thinking about it and let nature take it's course. Just out of curiosity what varieties are you growing and how was your success? Thanks,
-leadingzero
__________________
leadingzero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preparing Hops for Winter SAMPLER Hops Growing 18 11-12-2013 04:05 PM
where to put hops this winter KUbrew Hops Growing 5 10-28-2010 04:17 PM
Hops in pots, during winter? dmbnpj Hops Growing 10 07-12-2010 03:27 PM
Cutting back first shoots JayBullen Hops Growing 6 04-06-2010 12:30 AM
Winter hit, I never cut the old vines back... Sean from New Hampshire Hops Growing 6 04-02-2009 01:53 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS