New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Crowns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #11
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Sprouted? Leaves? What kind of crown are we talking about being delivered in winter?

What I've seen for sale are post-harvest root balls with chopped off bine stubs. No leaves. No sprouts. Just an end-of-the-season essentially topless plant that's headed for dormancy. And given the zone I'm in, I'd keep it in that state until it's time to plant...
very good point, my bad for not considering that possibility. i bought crowns from GLH last year and i received live plants.

given the time of the year, an inactive/dormant root-ball is more likely than something with bine and leaves. if a root-ball is what you receive, then you'll want to keep that cool and in the dark, covered with some loose soil or organic matter. an unheated garage would be a great place for that.

follow the advice i have yesterday (indoor, southern window, etc) only if the thing is alive & active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAught View Post
I have a lot of work to do building the trellis once it warms up a little.
hops don't need a full trellis. they need one vertical line to climb. a lattice/tic-tac-toe is a bit of a waste unless you plan on manually training the bines along & across it.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply