Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Cows ate first-year hops. Should I prune?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
AceMgy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cows ate first-year hops. Should I prune?

So the cows got out on our ranch and ate / severely trimmed half of my hops (first year). The varieties affected are Magnum and Northern Brewer. I built a fence so that wouldn't be a problem anymore, but I don't know what to do with the plants. Some of them are trimmed down to just two small leaves close to the ground, others fared better and are sending out side-shoots.

I've been training every shoot that comes up in an effort to strengthen the roots this first year, but I'm wondering if I should break off the worst blines below the ground in an effort to get them to send up new shoots. The magnum and Northern Brewer only had one vine each as I planted late (short growing season here), so I'm worried if they have enough energy in the roots to send up new shoots.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 229

If there's any green at all left on them just leave them alone and they'll take care of the rest. It will take a week or two but you should see some new growth by then if they weren't severely damaged. All is good!

"Neil & I would've tweeted from the moon if we could have but I would prefer to tweet from Mars. Maybe by 2040" ~ @TheRealBuzz, Buzz Aldrin 11:20 PM - 04 Jan 13

Old 06-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
gnarlyhopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes!!

Prune the cows! They will be less of a menace on the grill.....

-gnarlyhopper

Quick Reply