Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > cones and seeds on 1 plant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
Jbear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default cones and seeds on 1 plant

So I just noticed today that my first year Columbus plant has both cones and seed clusters growing on it. Down low its almost all cones, which I think is why I didn't notice sooner, but higher up there are tons of seeds. Is this a male plant? Or I've heard they can sometimes be hermaphrodites so maybe that is it??

I'm assuming I probably don't want to keep this plant in my hop garden, is that correct? My concern I suppose is more whether having the male Columbus plant will cause any cross-breeding or whatever with my existing Willamette or Cascade plant (both of which are producing all cones at this point)? I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks

Here's a picture:

hop-seeds1.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1524 Times on 1228 Posts

I don't think those are seeds, I think they're male parts. The plant in the picture has gone a bit hermaphroditic...

Cheers!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
Changeduser123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
i don't think those are seeds, i think they're male parts. The plant in the picture has gone a bit hermaphroditic...

Cheers!
+1

You may want to remove the male flowers, otherwise you will get seeds in your cones.

Mathieu

Holiday 5 cu feet red keezer

Old 08-24-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
likwidbliss
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My nugget has this happen. I pull the males off!

FYI. For cross-breeding to happen you need to have different hop plants. If the males fertilize the females of the same plant it self-pollinate and there would be no cross-breeding.

spence

Old 08-24-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Also read (on here i believe) that plants do ocasionally go hermaphroditic do to heat or water stress they are sterile. So if this is true no fear of seeds.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
git_dr1
Recipes 

My columbus first years did the same thing. From what I understand they are sterile and rarely produce seeds. Also, I guess columbus do this at the drop of a hat when stressed.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Before I got my Zeus rhizomes a few years ago, I would occasionally see some male bloom on my Cascade and Bullion and a tiny bit on a few other varieties and was told by a hop researcher not to worry about it. For the first two years I thought my Zeus was mostly male as it was about half cones and half male parts. This year, which was extremely hot and dry - much more so than the previous two, it's mostly (about 95%) cones. So that tells me that the optimum growing conditions for Zeus would be extremely hot and dry and a more mild growing season would be the stress conditions that everyone seems to mention. I won't know until we go through some more mild Summers.

As for the seeds, if any are produced you may want to try to germinate them to see if they are viable. I know I was told that 'they' were sterile but not sure if he meant the male parts or the seeds. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
Jbear
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

lol, sounds like I need to go neuter the plant tomorrow...

The stress factor sounds like a definite possibility, in the PNW we've had a very cool / wet year. Except for the last week when all of a sudden we finally got our warm weather and hit the 90s last weekend.

Is this permanent or is it possible this would grow "normally" next year?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

My CTZ has done this for the past 2 years, I don't worry about it.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 08-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 251

One of the factors that the breeders select for is the amount of male bloom that the selection produce, less is best. I would figure that the climate where most of them are grown (most likely the Yakima Valley) is conducive to allowing them to grow and produce a very limited amount of boy parts. It's all a tradeoff. If the particular variety is earning the growers a decent return, they'll overlook a slight fault to a certain extent.

Quick Reply