Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Compost pile, hops and dog poop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Default Compost pile, hops and dog poop

I built a compost pile 2 years ago mainly for grass clippings, spent grain and spent hops. I used some of the compost for the first time this year on my 2nd year hop plants and they are growing very fast. 20+ feet tall and some flowers are showing already.
I've read that dog poop shouldn't go into a compost pile that will fertilize a food garden...does this include hops? Should I make a separate disposal area for dog waste even though we don't have a food garden?

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4713 Times on 4365 Posts
Likes Given: 58

No dog poop in compost unless he is strictly vegetarian. meaning no animal fats used in the processing of whatever dry kibble you give him/her. If you feed the dog any animal based food products his poop belongs elsewhere.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm no expert, but I believe that this line from that link:

Quote:
Do not put it in a food garden, pet feces contain some harmful pathogens and should not be handled, especially by pregnant women.
Is specifically referring to something that CATS (not dogs) have in their feces. Toxoplasmosis (http://www.2ndchance.info/toxoplasmosis.htm).

Every time my wife got pregnant, the doctors cautopned us about it and asked if we had any cats. Never once did they ask about or mention dogs at all.

edit (after reading my own linked article): it's only cats that can carry the parasite to full maturity, which leaves live nasties in their poop.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I'm no expert, but I believe that this line from that link:

Is specifically referring to something that CATS (not dogs) have in their feces. Toxoplasmosis (http://www.2ndchance.info/toxoplasmosis.htm).

Every time my wife got pregnant, the doctors cautopned us about it and asked if we had any cats. Never once did they ask about or mention dogs at all.

edit (after reading my own linked article): it's only cats that can carry the parasite to full maturity, which leaves live nasties in their poop.
Jep. We have two cats. Apparently, the parasite can attack the feotus.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

After reading this thread, I threw up in my mouth a little!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
After reading this thread, I threw up in my mouth a little!
Suck it up ya pansy!

Better not eat your veggies then. Most farmers have a contract source for manure. Black gold for plants.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
. . . . . . . Most farmers have a contract source for manure. Black gold for plants.
I feed the cows through the winter on the garden plot, this gives me plenty of organic matter/fertilizer for summer gardening. There are weeds though.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Suck it up ya pansy!

Better not eat your veggies then. Most farmers have a contract source for manure. Black gold for plants.
Oh, I understand that. I grew up on a small farm in Washington. I'm all for knowing where your food comes from and what that entails. What do you mean my steak comes from dead cows?!?!? I thought it came from plastic wrapped foam trays down at Kroger's! Steer manure I've got no problem with, but I gotta draw the line at dog sh*t!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Another problem with dog scat, it can attract scavengers that will dig up your hops. Most hop roots are close to the surface.

That said, you should see how green the grass is in Boss' favorite dumping ground.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #10
dndlyon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dog poop doesn't go in the compost bin or on the plants in the garden. It's not really a health issue as all poop contains bad bacteria. There's just too much fat that just tends to screw up the natural order of rotting plants. Only vegetarian poop, please!

Quick Reply