Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > community hop-yard going in in urban Detroit.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #41
AgingHopster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Ok so, I got really busy last summer and fall. And then my hard drive crashed. I have some more pics from last year to post finally.

Detroit Urban Growers CoHoprative is about to launch our second year. We did pretty good last year for our 1st attempt at it. Some of our plants didn't do much, as expected for 2nd year plants, but some did incredibly well (Columbus, Cascade, Chinook, Canadian Red Vine). This year we are propagating and expanding.

Cascade (1 plant)

Columbus HUGE yielder! (about 1/2 the plant)

Columbus, Chinook

More Cascade

Brewing for the Oktoberfest Art Concert we hosted.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #42
ArrowheadHops
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Great pics, love'em.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #43
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Being from Garden City, I am in love with this idea. I try to get to downtown Detroit at least once a year even though I live in Chicago now. My wife and I have talked many times about moving to Detroit, but it just hasn't been a realistic proposition to this point.

Have you had any run-ins with the law or neighbors who thought you were growing cannabis? They are related plants and look very similar to the untrained eye. Or did you contact the local police first to alert them of the project to ward off any suspicions?

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #44
AgingHopster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by forstmeister View Post
Being from Garden City, I am in love with this idea. I try to get to downtown Detroit at least once a year even though I live in Chicago now. My wife and I have talked many times about moving to Detroit, but it just hasn't been a realistic proposition to this point.

Have you had any run-ins with the law or neighbors who thought you were growing cannabis? They are related plants and look very similar to the untrained eye. Or did you contact the local police first to alert them of the project to ward off any suspicions?
Detroit is about the most garden friendly city I know of. Plus, as you know, MI is a medical cannabis state and Detroit actually passed the medicinal use of cannabis about a year before the rest of the state, plus my garden and hopyard is totally open to the community, we teach classes there. Also, some of my friends who come over are cops so, I guess I'm not so concerned about people thinking whatever, I know I'm good there. I suppose in other neighborhoods in the city that would be a concern but my only neighbors left are the last homeowners on the block and we've all known each other for almost 20 years. I just invite them over to help work, that keeps them from get to nosy

The next set of pics I post will be of the concerts and art exhibits we hosted at this biergarten in celebration of the summer of hard work and the awesome harvest we took out of the garden (we grew tons of peppers and veggies too, gave most of it to the community).

To give you an idea of the type of leeway, I call it "freedom", we enjoy in the some areas of the postindustrial, ghost-metropolis formerly know as The Motor City, we had 8 bands playing till 3am and no cops, no calls, no nasty notes on my door. All I did was invite my neighbors and they partied with us. We emptied 10 pin-lock kegs and raised about $500 that was donated back into a community art program we founded. We're doing it bigger and better this year with a 2 day weekend event that will be held at a larger venue.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #45
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgingHopster

Detroit is about the most garden friendly city I know of. Plus, as you know, MI is a medical cannabis state and Detroit actually passed the medicinal use of cannabis about a year before the rest of the state, plus my garden and hopyard is totally open to the community, we teach classes there. Also, some of my friends who come over are cops so, I guess I'm not so concerned about people thinking whatever, I know I'm good there. I suppose in other neighborhoods in the city that would be a concern but my only neighbors left are the last homeowners on the block and we've all known each other for almost 20 years. I just invite them over to help work, that keeps them from get to nosy

The next set of pics I post will be of the concerts and art exhibits we hosted at this biergarten in celebration of the summer of hard work and the awesome harvest we took out of the garden (we grew tons of peppers and veggies too, gave most of it to the community).

To give you an idea of the type of leeway, I call it "freedom", we enjoy in the some areas of the postindustrial, ghost-metropolis formerly know as The Motor City, we had 8 bands playing till 3am and no cops, no calls, no nasty notes on my door. All I did was invite my neighbors and they partied with us. We emptied 10 pin-lock kegs and raised about $500 that was donated back into a community art program we founded. We're doing it bigger and better this year with a 2 day weekend event that will be held at a larger venue.
This is so awesome. It's stuff like this that makes me have hope for the future of the Motor City.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

AgingHopster Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #46
JPKDetroit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by forstmeister View Post

Law? What the **** is that?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #47
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Very cool, great shots of the progress!

I'm trying to get some space in community garden here in Brooklyn to do a much smaller version, although it may not work out.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #48
browder
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow nice harvest of hops--I'm up in Burton I was thinking about planting hops in an abandoned lot this year but after seeing your harvest think I'll just come get some from you

Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #49
SPR-GRN
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 15

thats awesome, I'm lucky enough to have the room grow whatever I want, but when I lived in Brooklyn NY I hoped for something like this - there was actually a beer bar in Manhattan that grew hops on their rooftop bar as decoration and glass garnish when they had IPA fests; pretty cool the lengths people will go to in order to do what they love. Looking forward to this years photos!!

Primary: Skeeter Pee
Secondary: "Not a Chardonnay", Malbec
On Tap: Pale Ale, Brown, Marzen
Next batch(es): Cider, dirty blonde

Updated: 8-21-2014

AgingHopster Likes This 
Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #50
JRapp
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Wow!

I love it! I just moved outside detroit a few months ago and really digging this city. Currently perusing the site looking for ideas on how to get my 1st hop harvest along this spring. Love the concept of taking all the lost space in detroit and greening it up and especially love the concept of Coop farms.

I might need to send you some email for advice when the time comes, maybe even come out to see how you got it goin!

Keep up the awesomeness!

Quick Reply