Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Commercial Hop Harvesting Machinery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
CentralWABrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

HopBlooded,
You farming there in Moxee? A good friend of mine farms just outside of Toppenish. I go there every harvest to help out....and maybe get some hops to take home with me.

rockgineer,
top cutters are pretty popular but there are also combines. Again, they are large and need place to be stored.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...5/combinea.jpg

Hops
6th Year- Cascade, Chelan, Chinook, Willamette
4nd Year- Hallertauer Tradition
3rd Year- Galena, Hallertauer Tradition

Last edited by CentralWABrewing; 01-09-2010 at 09:21 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
Hopfarmer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

No Paonia Colorado http://www.coloradoorganichops.com/ Cheers Glen

Old 01-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
HopBlooded
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralWABrewing View Post
HopBlooded,
You farming there in Moxee? A good friend of mine farms just outside of Toppenish. I go there every harvest to help out....and maybe get some hops to take home with me.
Yep, and I saw in another thread you know the Gamaches, right?

Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 AM   #14
CentralWABrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopBlooded View Post
Yep, and I saw in another thread you know the Gamaches, right?
Yep. I was the flight instructor for one of the guys. Big-A$$ family.
So I'm sure you know the Roy's?
It is going to be intersting to see how these new farms do now that the price of hops and taken a downfall. I couldn't believe all the farms(mint, corn, etc.) that got plowed under and trellises came up in the lower valley. People trying to cash in on the new green gold.
What varieties are you growing?
Hops

Last edited by CentralWABrewing; 01-13-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Royski Likes This 
Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Let me ask the two of you, now that prices have plummeted are they ripping the plants back out? I've read the stories about leaving them unharvested, but are they just leaving them or planting new crops in their place? Its seems to me that would just guarantee a shortage again in a couple years and the cycle will continue.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #16
HopBlooded
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralWABrewing View Post
Yep. I was the flight instructor for one of the guys. Big-A$$ family.
So I'm sure you know the Roy's?
It is going to be intersting to see how these new farms do now that the price of hops and taken a downfall. I couldn't believe all the farms(mint, corn, etc.) that got plowed under and trellises came up in the lower valley. People trying to cash in on the new green gold.
What varieties are you growing?
Yeah, I know a few of the Gamaches, the Roys, and many of the growers in the area. It's a pretty small community in that regard.

The new acreage that was planted was very surprising. We actually didn't increase our acreage at all which in hindsight was a pretty good decision even if at the time we felt like maybe we should have. Currently our main varieties are Tomahawk, Palisade, Simcoe, Cascade, Willamette, and Warrior with a couple smaller ones mixed in.

To answer Dan's question, the stories about leaving hops unharvested were from this crop year and even then the crop was still of record size and much too big for the demand that exists. I would expect that acreage will be ripped out and that the cycle would continue, but the timeframe is anybody's guess. Such is the problem of highly inelastic demand...

Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
CentralWABrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I saw a few fields that they simply lit off piles of hops because processing was more expensive, huge crop this year. It was something to fly over the lower valley and see all the transitions taking place from one crop to hops. A lot of time and money for the farmers to do that. Gamache started me off with some rhizomes about five years ago and I haven't bought hops since(lovin' 22lbs dried every year) and our property is filled with them during the summer.
It's a fun hobby but I have to keep telling myself that's what it is as my crop keeps building every spring....good reason to spend time outside.

Hops

Old 01-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #18
rockgineer
Recipes 

Thanks for all of the info guys. I have about 100 plantable acres on my farm but I am only interested in an acre or two of hops at this point. This year I am planting a small garden of around 20 or 25 plants just to test the waters.

These machines seem so complicated for such a simple task and the dauenhauer is a monster beast!

The combine is an awesome idea. does anyone sell them in the US and how expensive are they?

Is there any good place for information on how these machines actually work?

Are there any other small scale "home made" harvesters that may be available for purchase in the coming year or two?

Also when you are actually harvesting a hop how does it want to separate from the bine? Does the stem usually detach from the cone or does the stem break and stay attached to the cone which would have to be separated. Also about how much force does it take to pull off a hop cone?

I'd like to at least have some harvester ideas to test with this years harvest if there isn't anything I can buy.

Thanks again for all of the info,
Brad

Old 01-28-2010, 01:37 AM   #19
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 19

There are a number of textbooks on growing and harvesting hops, but there isn't much information in them on the harvesting part. The best way to learn, is too look up the patents from all these various machines. Of course, the patents don't say which ones work and which don't but that's where the fun of experimentation comes in.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no small scale harvesters currently available for purchase. We are trying to get something ready for market, but it would be another year at a minimum, probably 2.

The only reassurance I can give you is that you have time. The first year, on a commercial farm you maybe get 10% of the 4th year harvest. So if you are doing a trial plot now, you have at least 3 years before you have a serious harvest. Until then, you can do it the old fashioned way...by hand. Just be sure you wear gloves so you don't start growing Moobs.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:39 AM   #20
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan View Post
Just be sure you wear gloves so you don't start growing Moobs.
Wha? Am I missing something?

Marc Moberg
Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager
Inwood Estates Vineyards and Winery
1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

Quick Reply