New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Central Florida Hop Growing???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
gunnyg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Central Florida Hop Growing???

Central FLORIDA Hop Growing???

Last summer I grew a hop plant my backyard in the ground. (Chinook)

ThymeGarden.com had instructed that 1 6' pole would be sufficient first year.

The plant grew like a weed to about 15'--had I known, I'd've provided a better trellis. Anyway, I harvested about a pound (wet) cones from it in August; there were still many more cones but not yet ripe--a tropical storm came along and the wind pretty well screwed up any hopes of more harvesting.

Question?

Anyone else out there growing hops this area?
What is your experience?

Contrary to gloomy outlooks in general (from the "experts") for those considering growing hops here, my own limited experience suggests that hop growing will not be all that bad. So much for "expert" opinions.

Thanx for yer attention!

Dick G
aka: Gunny G
~~~~~

Last edited by gunnyg; 03-05-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

gunny - check in at the Yahoo Grow Hops group. Growers from all over the US post there - you can get some more input from other growers in the southern US.

Grow-Hops : Homebrewer's Garden: Hops/Barley/Herbs

I live in Ideeho - no problems getting hops to grow here. More trouble keeping them under control.

Kegged - Where's Waldo Amber Ale
Dry peppering - Jalapeno Wheat
On the fruit - Currant Wheat and Huckleberry Wheat

Primary - FUBAR Weizenbock and Accidental Dunkelweizen

Hops - Centennial, Nugget, Mt. Hood, Cascade, Willamette, Magnum, Chinook

Old 01-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
gunnyg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know there must be others growing hops in Florida, even central Fla.
Would like to hear your experiences in doing so.
Thanx
Dick G
~~~~

Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #4
doogilas
Recipes 

I have grown some hops in N. Florida (by Gainesville, you know TITLE TOWN) and did it for several years. I grew only Nugget and Cascade. I had some success but none like that of growers more North. I found the Cascade did very well as far as pests are concerned. One year I had about 20 plants and I did propogate some from the hop bines. I remember yielding a couple of pounds dried, on my best year.

I stopped growing them because after two or three years the yields just plummeted (probably due to our lack of cold days). I also had some problems with neighbors trees and aphids. I will probably grow them again when I move to a more spread out yard, further from neighbors. If you need any help with desease/pest problems I would be glad to help.

Doug

Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can't say I have grown any yet but I'm thinking about it. I'm not all that concerned about a great yield - just seems like having a hop bine in the backyard is cool for a brewer :-) A good yield wouldn't hurt my feelings any though...

-Craig

Old 02-03-2009, 04:09 AM   #6
doogilas
Recipes 

I would say go for it, I got my Rhizomes from Fresh Hops and it was worth it to get the Jumbo size. I will say the coolest thing about it was how the yard was transformed at the end of Summer with a 12ft high wall of green hop goodness (my wife also thought it was cool). You need to decide pretty soon though, because you can probably plant in central fla in the next couple of weeks. Contact your UF extension office for suggestions of the last frost date (in Marion County it is March 15th). I would look to plant very soon after that.

Doug

Old 02-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
gunnyg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogilas View Post
I would say go for it, I got my Rhizomes from Fresh Hops and it was worth it to get the Jumbo size. I will say the coolest thing about it was how the yard was transformed at the end of Summer with a 12ft high wall of green hop goodness (my wife also thought it was cool). You need to decide pretty soon though, because you can probably plant in central fla in the next couple of weeks. Contact your UF extension office for suggestions of the last frost date (in Marion County it is March 15th). I would look to plant very soon after that.

Doug
Thanx, Doug & Craig:
I have two plants now in the ground from last year, and several more rhizomes due in next month from thymegarden.com

Problem is, ya can only obtain rhizomes when THEY want to sell 'em to ya!

My chinook and nugget did well last year. I expect them to grow well here--based on what little I've seen, anyway.

My theory is to grow 'em short and with many shoots vice the prescribed way w/ 3 shoots that will reach 25+'--that's all well and good for the professional growers who have to grow 'em thataway for max plants in a given area and they have the necessary machinery to harvest that way.

I have found on the internet a couple testimonials somewhere from folks who do grow 'em short and claim they thicken up that way, I figure 10-12'--may not produce as much but probably ok for a smalltime homebrewer.
Best
Dick
~~~~~

Last edited by gunnyg; 03-05-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Smurfe
I Pull It By Hand!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am interested to hear about the success of growing in the Deep South as well. I live just south of Baton Rouge Louisiana and ordered a few to try. Gonna try Hopgrowers Cascades and Chinooks to see what happens. I have read a few blogs about some successful growing in my area. I have been scouring the Inter-web trying to find tips for growing in this sub tropical climate. I as sure that some tweaking of the process will be needed here.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
gunnyg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfe View Post
I am interested to hear about the success of growing in the Deep South as well. I live just south of Baton Rouge Louisiana and ordered a few to try. Gonna try Hopgrowers Cascades and Chinooks to see what happens. I have read a few blogs about some successful growing in my area. I have been scouring the Inter-web trying to find tips for growing in this sub tropical climate. I as sure that some tweaking of the process will be needed here.
Thank you for responding--stay in touch and let's share our information/experiences as we progress with our hop growing here beyond the borders "others" have dictated as off limits for us!

Semper Fidelis
Dick Gaines

Last edited by gunnyg; 02-07-2009 at 12:50 AM.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Smurfe
I Pull It By Hand!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am gonna give it a try. I keep reading about hops grow north of the 30th parallel. I am at 30.13 degrees north (I can probably see the 30th parallel out my back window LOL) so we will see as technically I am north of the 30th parallel.

Quick Reply