Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Cedar log dimensions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Brizzo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cedar log dimensions

I am starting a small hop garden this year with 6 varieties from arrowhead hops. I own 8 acres of field behind my house and I am going to use a small portion to set up my hop trellis.

My question is about the dimensions of the cedar trees that people use for the trellis. I understand that probably taller is better but what are the average top end and butt end dimensions of cedar poles that people use for their trellis. Should the top of the poles be greater then let's say 4 inches or so? I have access to a bunch of straight cedar trees that are still standing and I was anticipating having 16ft above ground and 3ft buried.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Bmaker62
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Good morning. Those dimensions sound good actually. It also has a lot to do with the spacing between them too. I am starting 30 plants this year here in NY as well and that was about the size I was planning on. I'm just using farm boy calculations though and my construction back ground so I have no engineering specific knowledge. For light poles you calculate about a quarter of the pole in the ground.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
HALIFAXHOPS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I use 20' 4x4 with 3-4 in the ground surrounded by basecourse so the water drains. Just remember to anchor the end of the cables well. I use 4" rebar with a loop welded on top to attach a turnbuckle. Has worked well for me over the last 5 yrs. Remember to note which way the wind comes from and try to aligh the trellis in that direction or you will have alot of stress on the trellis. I have some pics in my profile if you want to look. Good luck!

Got Hops?

There is no problem to big or small not to be fixed by enough beer!
Just do not have your beer held hostage by the wife or you will never get anything halfway done!

Quick Reply