Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Cascade vs Hallertau

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Lefty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cascade vs Hallertau

This is my first year growing hops. I have these two varieties planted and growing happily in the back yard. The Cascade broke ground and shot up 2 feet in as many weeks. No big suprise there. It came up as one bine and started sprouting into multiple bines off the one that broke ground. No worries, they are all happy to climb the two twine runs I set up.

My Hallertau is a different story. It was much lazier in breaking through and lazy in growing. Took better part of two months to reach the twine about 10 inches off the ground. It has since broke ground in different spots. About 5 different places where it is coming through the ground. And none of them are much taller than 2 feet.

Is this a variety difference between the two hop rhizomes? I know I should prune back to 3 or so bines to allow them to grow, but in doing that I will be cutting a LOT of the Hallertau. Being this is the first year growth, should I no prune and let them be...see what happens with them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
johnnyc
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I'm seeing the same thing with Cascade vs Fuggle. From what I can tell its tough to compare any other variety to the speed of Cascade. I planted mine the same day about 3 weeks ago and the Cascade is about 10" high and the Fuggle is maybe 2". I picked up a book, The homebrewers garden, and have a better idea of what varieties grow best at home. Speed, hardiness, yield, etc.

Kegged: Hoppy Amber, ESB, Weizenbock, Breakfast Stout, IPA

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 06-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't prune first year hops, I let them grow as they like. I also found that sometimes if the hops don't get to a twine or something to climb they'll just stop growing. I had that happen on my nugget rhizome last year. Now on first year plants I'll sometimes put a small stick in the ground near them and help them climb to the twine using that.

My 2nd year cascades are at the top of my 18' trellis now, they are good growers.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Quote:
Is this a variety difference between the two hop rhizomes?
Yes, or year-to-year, or phase of the moon. Seriously, Cascade is probably the best grower, any where, any time.

Although some people like to let all the bines grow the first year, this can encourage mold and mildews. Getting bines up the twines will maximize the percentage of leaves that get full sun.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Some varieties jsut grow better in certain regions/areas.
Here's my experience in SE PA:

About 10 years ago, I planted Cascasde, Goldings and Hallertau.

Cascades: I still have them, have propagated them harvest from them every year.
Goldings: never did anything; grew to 6-8 feet and stopped. I finally dug them out and tossed them (replaced with Cascade).
Hallertau: First couple of years not much growth, still not a big producer: maybe 1/2 oz each year.

Last year, I planted Horizon, Mt Hood, Centennial, & Williamette:

Centennial & Mt Hood: have grown well; decent yield (even first year). Very strong growth this year.
Williamette: so/so first year, growing well this year.
Horizon: poor growth last year, poor growth this year. Gonna give it another year or two, but so far this one is a candidate for replacement.

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...

Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
CentralWABrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

*IMO* I wouldn't prune back any of the bines for first year plants. Let the plant do its thing.
I think the biggest threat to a hop plant(which is a weed) is the new grower---->allow the system to grow "underground". After that year, you will be beating those things down and yelling profanity while doing it
But no matter what, have fun growing 'em!

Hops
6th Year- Cascade, Chelan, Chinook, Willamette
4nd Year- Hallertauer Tradition
3rd Year- Galena, Hallertauer Tradition

Quick Reply