Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Cascade Crowns on Ebay.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
slimer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Cascade Crowns on Ebay.

They look HUGE!!!! Brought to you by freshops.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfreshops

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

those do look HUGE!!!!

what are the advantages of getting one that big? do they start producing faster? or just more?

Old 03-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4618 Times on 4306 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by aekdbbop
those do look HUGE!!!!

what are the advantages of getting one that big? do they start producing faster? or just more?
The bigger the rhisome the sooner you get yields cause the plant focuses less own crown developement. I am a little concerned tho' about the age of the crown. Looks to me like a hop yard clearance. I have read that the life expectancy for a Hop plant is 30 years, and they advertise these as 30 year old crowns, so I wonder if they are getting sold off because they are losing their commercial viability.

Wonder why they don't list these on their website.......

Last edited by GilaMinumBeer; 03-11-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Only one way to find out -- get one. It's not a whole lot of investment if it does fail, but probably aren't viable for full on commercial use, but to homegrow, I bet they're fine.

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-p...ew-day-195534/

Old 03-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

Hop plants can last 50-75 years. A crown that big will produce a good crop the first year. If you look at a listing, you'll see that he is selling them for someone in Washington that is changing to another hop.

This is a great chance for Washington folks, since there is a ban on non-Washington plants.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-12-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Seller's location says they're in Philomath, OR. You could probably stop by and pick some up david since they're in your neck of the woods!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 03-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Something fishy is going on with these acutions, the highest bidder and in fact, all of the bidders for every one of the hops is some combination of stars and letters such as:
a**l
r**n
m***b etc.

I hope freshops isn't playing a bid up game with us that would detract from my view of them even further.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 03-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay
Something fishy is going on with these acutions, the highest bidder and in fact, all of the bidders for every one of the hops is some combination of stars and letters such as:
a**l
r**n
m***b etc.

I hope freshops isn't playing a bid up game with us that would detract from my view of them even further.
FYI: because of various problems with bidding up, etc., eBay now does that for every auction---those names are disguised. Only the seller can see, and I guarantee you, it's not just the first and last letter of their username either. I recently sold some tickets on eBay, and when I wasn't logged in, the bidder appeared as "N****G", but when I logged in, it was something like KrisKid49.

They're not playing games, at least not as far as I can tell.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
FYI: because of various problems with bidding up, etc., eBay now does that for every auction---those names are disguised. Only the seller can see, and I guarantee you, it's not just the first and last letter of their username either. I recently sold some tickets on eBay, and when I wasn't logged in, the bidder appeared as "N****G", but when I logged in, it was something like KrisKid49.

They're not playing games, at least not as far as I can tell.
How does not displaying the names stop someone from bidding up stuff, as a consumer, me being able to see if someone is bidding something up lets me know they want it and to stop bidding, or that it is only one person bidding up the price.

If I am bidding, and every time I bid the same person bids a little higher than me I will generally let them have it as I set my price threshold on my first and (I like to think my only) bid. If they hide the names of the bidders I don't know if it is a 2 way bidding war or a 3 way bidding war or what. As a bidder, not knowing who else is bidding makes me more likely to think it is some sort of a bid up, and leaves me with no way of looking to see if it is.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D

Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

And just to let you guys know I bid on this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/30-year-old-Casc...QQcmdZViewItem
Maximum bid of $25 and some change, so if you want it you are going to have to go higher than that.

Quote:

Quick Reply