can I grow hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philhead1

Reaction score
can I grow hops in Ky, and if so what type will grow good here? have been getting some hot dry summers here lately, but I do have 50+ acres.

Are you thinking of trying to grow them commercially or just for your own use? Many varieties will grow in your area, but the yields aren't high enough to be profitable.

Just about anything will grow there, but I'd stick to the mildew resistant varieties. Fortunately, Cascades is one of them.

quite a few things will grow, unfortunately you are going to have to wait till next February to order rhizoms and then till about april or may till they are delivered. When you get them, put them in the ground and let them alone, don't pre pot them and think you are going to give them a headstart inside this is how most people killed their hops this year, if you don't want to plant them right away keep the rhizomes in your fridge till you are ready to plant. I have about 16 plants going this year, 13 of which are growing and producing well enough to make some beer, not bad for a bunch of first year plants.

wheres a good place to order them form? do I need to order a few for pollenation?

I've ordered from Freshops and had good luck. Plus they have some good information about hops growing on their website in addition to good prices on hops.

You will only get female plants when you order rhizomes. Male plants do not produce cones. There is no need for pollination as you are harvesting the flowers, not the fruit.

Craig

I found Cascade and Chinook to do well in the hot Chicago area summers. Willamette not so go. But thats based off a very small sample. I've read of others in my area who do well with Willamette.

I grow in central PA and Cascadeand Magnum do well here. I have 200 pluss plants so far and am going for 1000 for next year. I have had good luck when I started with 50 rhizomes from the thyme garden. Good prices and great people.

Well cacade are doing great as long as they have something to grow uo, perl wchich I didn't expect do good in a hotter enviroment is very low producing.

Back