Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Brewing with homegrown hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
Bierliebhaber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Just brewed my first all home-grown hop beer. Made an IIPA with columbus for bittering and a ton of Centennial at 20, 15, 10, 5, 0, and hop stand 170F. Will dry hop with Columbus and Centennial. The aroma in my ferm chamber is the best I've had in recent memory. I opened my vacuum sealed bag of Centennial and compared it to store bought Centennial. My hops had a far more potent aroma. A wonderful medley of sweet floral, lemony/grapefruit, and piney resin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #22
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1387 Times on 1119 Posts

It's a wonderful thing!

I did a home-grown Centennial SMaSH yesterday and it's percolating nicely this morning (next to an ESB with all bought nobles that was the second in a double-batch day). This time of year I'm brewing indoors my shop and the whole house smelled amazing by the time the spousal unit got home. Fortunately she digs the heady brew day smells as much as I do!

I have a metric crap ton of home grown hops literally crammed into one of my freezers and I'm committed to using every last ounce over the next year, one way or the other!

Cheers!

Old 11-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #23
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
It's a wonderful thing!

I did a home-grown Centennial SMaSH yesterday and it's percolating nicely this morning (next to an ESB with all bought nobles that was the second in a double-batch day). This time of year I'm brewing indoors my shop and the whole house smelled amazing by the time the spousal unit got home. Fortunately she digs the heady brew day smells as much as I do!

I have a metric crap ton of home grown hops literally crammed into one of my freezers and I'm committed to using every last ounce over the next year, one way or the other!

Cheers!
Same here. Those pounds of hops got to go somewhere, because there will be more looking for a home come next fall.

I was just reading in the latest issue of BYO on porters about a technique of taking the hops and cold break from the kettle and adding them to the mash of the next brew. This is a way to salvage the lost fermentables from hop absorption, as well as gaining a little hop flavor from late additions. I'm planning on giving my next IIPA a ton of late additions and then dump those hops into my next mash. Maybe freeze the hops-wort slurry, if the next brew is not soon enough.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #24
Jayslay
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
I think there's a sticky on drying, but if not, spread the cones on a window screen propped up on whatever you have handy, and aim a fan at it. Dry them to where the cones end up in the vicinity of 20% of their original wet weight. Depending on your setup, when you picked the hops, and the ambient humidity, it could take a couple days or more.

As for wet hopping, folks do it, apparently successfully. You'd have to use the inverse of the dry-hop metric - ie: five times as much wet hops as dry - to get in the ballpark of a recipe's intended hop character...

Cheers!
I used a dehydrator/jerky-maker and it took me about 30hrs.
Alchemonk Tripel,Skull Old Ale, Galaxy Pale I, Raspberry Wedding Weizen, Galaxy Pale Wedding Ale
THIS MONTHS UPCOMING:

Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #25
AndMan3030
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Round two...

dry-hopping.jpg  

"Cheers! To your friends so near!"

Old 12-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #26
day_trippr
Recipes 

That right there is a thing of beauty
I hope you flushed the head space with something other than oxygen. I've seen too many pictures of whole-hopped brews grow molding on top of floating cones.

I'm just tasting the first fully-carbed draw from my latest all-home-grown-hop IPA (Chinook/Cascade/Centennial). It's just as good as the keg that my boys kicked over the holiday. Yummers!

The Centennial SMaSH is nearing the end of dry hopping and will be crashed and kegged this weekend. If I've ever brewed a batch that tempted me to do a "burst carb", this one might be it. It's going to take resolve not to succomb to such a shoddy practice...

Cheers!

Old 12-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #27
AndMan3030
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Patience my friend! Stay the course!

Old 12-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #28
AndMan3030
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
It's a wonderful thing!

Cheers!
Please update after tasting the Centennial SMaSH. I love Centennial, and want to hear all about it!

Old 01-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #29
AndMan3030
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This batch scored a 33.5 at the Upper Mississippi Mashout last weekend. I also entered it in the Saint Paul Beer Dabbler Winter Carnival... I will be sure to post results!

PapaBearJay Likes This 
Old 02-01-2014, 01:16 AM   #30
day_trippr
Recipes 

Congrats!

And apologies for totally forgetting to follow-up on my own Centennial SMaSH.
It came out excellent - the Centennial character is well represented. It has a nice balance of bitter and residual sweetness - something the spousal unit appreciates as I tend to be heavy-handed with IBUs (this batch on paper was 66 IBUs) - plenty of fruity flavors, and enough aroma to let you know what's going to follow.

I'm definitely going to put this in my brewing rotation as I'm still sitting on a crapload of hops (a high-class problem for sure )

Cheers!

Quick Reply