Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Breakup of a huge rhizome ball?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
CarnieBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Breakup of a huge rhizome ball?

I've been given a complete root system of a Columbus hop plant, and have spent some time this morning chopping/separating it all. Just looking for some advice from seasoned hop growers as to what's good, and what isn't?

The first photo is of my breakup into 3 'groups' of cuttings. The next 3 images:

Group 2. Rhizome clippings 1 - the more traditional-looking rhizomes I've been able to remove, each of these have at least one, but most have many visible shoots/buds.

Group 3. No visible shoots - These look like rhizomes as I'm used to seeing them, but none of these sticks have any visible shoots.

Group 4. Clumps with shoots - These are small bunches of root balls, most of which have many visible shoots/buds coming out of them

I'm wanting to pass some of these on to friends & fellow home brewers, but I don't want to dud anyone. Obviously I can hand out group 2 pretty safely. Can anyone tell me if the root balls in group 4 should also grow vines ok?

And the sticks in group 3 with no shoots, should they simply be disposed of?

Thanks in advance...

columbus-rhizome-cuttings.jpg   columbus-rhizome-clippings-1.jpg   columbus-no-visible-shoots.jpg   columbus-clumps-shoots.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I bet if you buried any of those they would stand a good chance of growing.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 240

#2 looks like good cuttings with buds, will work #3 looks like they may be roots (can't really make out any buds) if there's no buds, they won't grow shoots, #4 looks like they may be roots but may have been cut very close to the crown so they may have a few buds on them. If there's some buds there, they'll make new shoots and grow for you. I'd stick them all in the ground and see what happens but #2 is what's normally sold as rhizomes.

"Neil & I would've tweeted from the moon if we could have but I would prefer to tweet from Mars. Maybe by 2040" ~ @TheRealBuzz, Buzz Aldrin 11:20 PM - 04 Jan 13

Quick Reply