New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > # of bines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
clemson55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default # of bines

I have read various approaches to how man bines to keep in order to get the best results. It seems like the general concensus is 2 bines the first yr or two and then 3-4 once established. Has anyone tried just 1 bine the first yr? I would think that with 1 bine you would have almost as much root growth and establishment potential as with 2 because that 1 bine would grown larger than if you had 2. At the same time it could focus the flower production a little more heavily for the 1 bine giving you a little more then either bine if you had 2 or more. I am considering trying it and just wanted to see what others thought.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4528 Times on 4248 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Sure. Try it. My first year I trained 4 bines each plant because I wanted the plant to get the maximum benifit from photosythesis.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1663 Times on 1208 Posts
Likes Given: 943

I would think that more bines the first year would be better. The roots will need energy from the sun to grow too. You might not get as much growth up top, but probably more in the ground.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:19 AM   #4
biggerk
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm growing cascades here in Colorado. These are year-two vines.
I dug them up and split the rhizome into two plants. (The rhizome was shaped like a "V" so it was easy to split.)

The main plant has many wonderful shoots (about 8 or 9). The secondary plant has 4 or 5 coming...

I've read several articles that said to trim the first couple of shoots and let the reset come through. Another article said keep the first three or four bines and trim the rest.

So, that's what "they" say. What's the experience out there? I even saw something that said whatever comes up, let 'em grow!

By the way: Clemson55: Go Cocks!!! (I'm a USC grad, and my wife is a Clemson grad!!!

On Tap
- Keg 1: KICKED Belgian Style Pale Ale (Fat Tire / Rare Vos clone)
- Keg 2: English Brown
- Keg 3: Cider
- Keg 4: Belgian Wit
- Keg 5: Empty
In Carboy: 1 Gallon Batches of Maple Porter and Pale Ale
In Bottle: Belgian Dubbel Blond...
On Deck: When we get to ABQ Oatmeal Stout
Future Brew: TBD

Old 04-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
redneckbeagle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

check this web site out http://oregonhops.org/culture2.html

Old 04-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

The biggest problem with one bine: what happens if it gets munched?

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't expect to get much the first year, so for me I'm going to let all the bines grow. I'm with david_42 on this one, I have deer and other animals that could easily destroy my one bine per plant crop this year. My parents have a 15yo hop plant of unknown variety that they do nothing to and it gets huge totally engulfing their wood shed each year. I probably could have harvested well over 10 pounds of hops last year but I didn't know what the variety was and at the time I didn't know the hop shortage was coming. I won't make that mistake again this year. I actually think they may be Cascades but I'll have to have them identified this year just so I know what I can use them for.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #8
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerk
I'm growing cascades here in Colorado. These are year-two vines.
I dug them up and split the rhizome into two plants. (The rhizome was shaped like a "V" so it was easy to split.)

The main plant has many wonderful shoots (about 8 or 9). The secondary plant has 4 or 5 coming...

I've read several articles that said to trim the first couple of shoots and let the reset come through. Another article said keep the first three or four bines and trim the rest.

So, that's what "they" say. What's the experience out there? I even saw something that said whatever comes up, let 'em grow!

By the way: Clemson55: Go Cocks!!! (I'm a USC grad, and my wife is a Clemson grad!!!
I think the big factor that changes the recommendation is whether we are talking about established or new plants. Established plants probably will benefit (hops production) from the first couple shoots being trimmed due to the large storage of energy in the rhizome as well as a large amount of nearby nutrients (due to the roots), but this could be a death sentence for a newly planted hop rhizome that has expended a ton of energy just to break the surface. Until the plant gets leaves above ground, its basically burning stored energy.

I agree with the others to let the plant do its thing the first year, or at least give it 3-4 shoots as insurance against losing one or two due to wind, animals, accidents, etc. I'm throwing around the idea of a multi-twine teepee setup, and so may just let the bines go wild, putting 2-3 on each string. I figure the plant is smart enough to know how to root, and giving more potential storage energy through the sunlight reaching the bines seems like the best decision.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:17 AM   #9
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

I remember an older BN podcast where they had Ralph Olson from Hop Union on the show. He mentioned that for homebrewers and people growing hops at home to not trim any of the bines. Some of the literature out there says to trim them back to 4 or 5 bines, but that is really only for commercial setups. They only have the space for so many per plant with their harvesting system. Is suggestion was to just leave them alone and not cut any bine.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 04-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
I remember an older BN podcast where they had Ralph Olson from Hop Union on the show. He mentioned that for homebrewers and people growing hops at home to not trim any of the bines. Some of the literature out there says to trim them back to 4 or 5 bines, but that is really only for commercial setups. They only have the space for so many per plant with their harvesting system. Is suggestion was to just leave them alone and not cut any bine.
I'd like to hear more about this as it makes complete sense to me. Trimming anything back only makes the plant spend more energy to attempt to replace the loss of photosynthetic activity. This energy has to come from the sunlight and nutrients from the roots. This either has to stunt the overall growth of the plant, or deplete the soil of nutrients faster than just letting it grow naturally.

Now whether there is a set height a hop plant's bine needs to grow to in order to bear hops may change my opinion, but for the health of the plant, trimming just seems like a waste of plant energy and increased chance of disease (due to open wounds near the base of the plant).

I've been throwing around the idea of a multi string teepee as opposed to the traditional 1 twine per plant (with 2-3 bines per plant), and instead letting all the bines grown and training 2-3 up twine spaced a couple inches apart. It should fill in nicely (looks are somewhat important because SWMBO has no idea what these will look like when full grown!), and should allow the plant to have maximum photosynthetic capacity for growth and root development.

I really think there's something to be said about WHY commercial growers do things differently than a home grower that doesn't have to farm acres of hops. It's possible the best yields are not coming from their techniques, but rather the limitations of their harvesting equipment.

Thanks for the post and I'd be really interested if you can find that (or another) podcast.

Quick Reply