Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Best Hops to Grow in Tennessee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
BNA3172
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best Hops to Grow in Tennessee

I am going to attempt growing hops at home in the spring and was wondering what varieties work best in TN climate. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
allynlyon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Are you in the mountains of Tennessee? Might make a difference.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
BNA3172
Recipes 

No I am in Middle TN.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
allynlyon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA3172 View Post
No I am in Middle TN.
Almost any would probably work. If you go to greatlakeshops you can look through the different kinds they grow and see which hops like certain types of soil.

Most people grow hops based on what they like. If you want hops for bittering you might want to go with one of the ctz varieties. If you want more aroma try one of the noble varieties.

If you want a popular hop go with cascade.

Some hops are dual purpose both bittering and aroma.. that might also be a good option.

You can amend your soil but if you don't want to having a soil test done is a good idea to know what kind of soil you are working with and choosing the hop that does well in your soil. Although that being said I don't know anyone who has perfect soil and some amending will likely have to be done.

Good Luck.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
billl
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 7

They are doing hop testing here in Raleigh, NC - pretty similar climate. All of the big american hops seem to be viable. Most of the old world varieties (noble, golding etc) don't seem as well suited.

This is my first year growing hops. I planted Cascade and Columbus. Both grew up and over the top of a 12 ft support. The cascade had more problems with bugs etc but that could just be a fluke. Both produced some usable cones in the first year. About a half oz from the cascade and 1.5oz from the columbus.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
jmandrze
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Hops need around 30 total days of freezing temperatures in the off season to go dormant and come back again in the spring. You could probably get away with less but your yield may suffer. Also you should get a soil test (agricultural not a lawn test) on the ground you plan to plant them in. Your local extension office should have the kits. This will give you a starting point in terms of what the soil pH is, NPK content and micro nutrient content. Based on your soil test results you can work to adjust your pH level and decide if you need any fertilizer. If you get a soil test, there should be a box for "next crop grown" where you can mark in HOPS, so when the results come back they usually contain fertilization rate recommendations based on the next crop to be grown. If "HOPS" is not an option, check "CORN" it has a similar N uptake.

Jason

Old 10-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #7
BNA3172
Recipes 

Thanks everyone very good info here.

Quick Reply