Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > attention trellis / pergola experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Strecker25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default attention trellis / pergola experts

I have a garage with a driveway that extends to the right side of it. I park my car there, and would like to start growing hops in that area of the yard next year. My initial thought was to build a hop carport over that space. I would build a trellis on the yard side of the driveway and then either twine over to the garage and let the hops fill in, or use stringers to build a pergola over the driveway for better support.

Pictures will help illustrate better and ill post some later, but whats the initial reaction to a design like that? My concern would be keeping them off the garage roof (not sure what a task that would be, once they extend there). The trellis would be about 10' high and the horizontal distance to the garage would be about 15'. Trellis would face southeast and the space receives abundant sunshine from late morning on. see below for a crude drawing on google earth, ill post pictures later on. the black line is the new driveway and the red is where the build would be.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Experibrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Try these out for positioning control. I've used these for years and you could align them to grow up to the first 7 feet,have the leaders or arms of the hops effectively strongly bush out, and set a twine or heavy gauge wire to the tops of these (possible modification and higher rod too if needed) for extending the core bine upwards as normally seen in hop yards and keep them off your garage, too.
They have been very controllable by my use of these in my yard. I grow several varieties and so this is what helps set a strong angler for me. http://www.gardeners.com/7%27-Essex-...efault,pd.html

Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Strecker25
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

perfect, thanks for the link

Quick Reply