The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Aphids in harvested crop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 AM   #21
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Losing battle arguing with this guy red. He has a lot of internet knowledge and a lot of pretty pictures. Just move along, grow yours how you like, and concentrate on HELPING other growers not criticizing with snide comments. We're all after the same thing here, he forgets in most of his posts that I have seen. Too quote Orfy, "never mock another man's brewery".

To Randar: You're AWESOME! Always right, we know. We'll never disagree or offer another opinion again...............sorry.........

To the OP: My experience with aphids has been minimal but if you can find ladybugs, even one or two, place them on the plant even hours before harvest and your aphid headache will be gone. They work fast and are free if you can find them around your yard. I had infested Zues cones last year and the ladybugs helped make one of the best IPAs of my 15 year brewing career.

Crawling on the cones, day one. Ladybugs introduced, day two. Harvested, day seven. NO aphids to be seen. I'm sure they were in there but DON'T be scared. RDWHAHB.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 03:07 AM   #22
rollinred
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
Losing battle arguing with this guy red. He has a lot of internet knowledge and a lot of pretty pictures. Just move along, grow yours how you like, and concentrate on HELPING other growers not criticizing with snide comments. We're all after the same thing here, he forgets in most of his posts that I have seen. Too quote Orfy, "never mock another man's brewery".

To Randar: You're AWESOME! Always right, we know. We'll never disagree or offer another opinion again...............sorry.........

To the OP: My experience with aphids has been minimal but if you can find ladybugs, even one or two, place them on the plant even hours before harvest and your aphid headache will be gone. They work fast and are free if you can find them around your yard. I had infested Zues cones last year and the ladybugs helped make one of the best IPAs of my 15 year brewing career.

Crawling on the cones, day one. Ladybugs introduced, day two. Harvested, day seven. NO aphids to be seen. I'm sure they were in there but DON'T be scared. RDWHAHB.
I have not been able to get the ladybugs to do enough work. I thought I would be free of aphids this year, especially when I could count at least 10-20 every time I looked on my plants. They simply could not eat enough aphids to even make a dent. I was able to get some harvest this year but the most unfortunate thing is that I was forced to harvest a couple weeks early because the aphids were killing the plant outright. I would not have been able to leave them on there or every one of them would have been completely dried up.

I simply do not want to loose another harvest due to these little bastards. Next year I am going nuclear on them the second I see one on my plants.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #23
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4576 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post

I didn;t say going organic was the only way, but he admitted he half-assed it and then basically opined it was worthless. Quoting short term studies about degredation rates and not having a negative impact despite explicit statements about impacting native species in a toxic manner and short term effects to humans.

Call it whatever you want. I don't go fully organic either but I also don't lie to myself about the possible implications about it or brush them off as irrelevant.

PS, having a discussion yay or nay about certain practices is like politics in a lot of ways, and nobody is necessarily right or wrong. But NOBODY like to have practices they believe in belittled as worthless by people who have only given a passing thought or attempt at them.

Last edited by Randar; 08-27-2010 at 04:12 AM.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:15 AM   #24
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4576 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinred View Post
I simply do not want to loose another harvest due to these little bastards. Next year I am going nuclear on them the second I see one on my plants.
Just want to be sure, but you do realize you're also nuking all of the beneficial insect at the same time, right?

Have you tried praying mantis? Growing companion plantings to attract wasps, etc?

Have you tried this spreadsheet for ideas?
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...Xc&hl=en#gid=0

Old 08-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #25
rollinred
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
Just want to be sure, but you do realize you're also nuking all of the beneficial insect at the same time, right?

Have you tried praying mantis? Growing companion plantings to attract wasps, etc?

Have you tried this spreadsheet for ideas?
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...Xc&hl=en#gid=0

I have no room to plant anything else. As it stands I am in a rented house and letting vines grow up my landlords building, with permission of course.

I have tried the insecticide soaps and they did absolutely nothing. I know I have a strong lady bug population already because they are always on the plants. Next year I am going to use the chemical option and see how much better they turn out. If my plants remain healthier than first two years I will consider it a success.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #26
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1088 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinred View Post
I have no room to plant anything else. As it stands I am in a rented house and letting vines grow up my landlords building, with permission of course.

I have tried the insecticide soaps and they did absolutely nothing. I know I have a strong lady bug population already because they are always on the plants. Next year I am going to use the chemical option and see how much better they turn out. If my plants remain healthier than first two years I will consider it a success.
If insecticidal soaps did 'nothing' than I propose an adjustment to your technique is in order. With a bad infestation you have to apply every three days or so (then repeat when they inevitably(a week or two) come back)...ton of work if you have multiple plants. I have pretty much given up on aphid control because I don't want put in the work. (hops are easy to grow my @ss). I will keep doing what I'm doing and harvestible cones are just a bonus...of course Im a planter 'farmer' so its much more work

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Last edited by HoppyDaze; 08-28-2010 at 05:18 AM.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:42 AM   #27
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

bugs? temp? never mind... ordering

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead