Anyone harvesting Hops in NJ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flananuts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in Monmouth county for the other Jerzee's on the site. My Cascade 1st year hop rhizome has produced a decent yield so far with secondary vines branching off and flowering. They're still green and spongy and a few inspections show the lupulin forming at the base of the leaves in the cone.

My gut says they still need time, but I wanted to see if anyone else in NJ are harvesting yet.

Thanks

Flananuts

not me.. I'm in Brick (northernmost area), and my Zeus are probably like yours.

My cascades look like they are just about to set out Burrs, and my centennials have nothing going on.

All first year plants btw..

Bumping this thread

So I think my 1st year cascades are ready to pick. Being a first time hop grower I planted my Willamette and Cascade too close to each other and they are now one contigious wine! The Willamette started producing cones around the beginning of August and the Cascades went bonkers. I think I'm going to harvest this weekend and be satisfied that I will actually get a decent yield from my first growing. It will be a 80%cascade /20% willamette blend since it will be difficult to tell what's what. I will certainly be moving the plants further apart for next year.

On an interesting side note, the cicada's love to hide in my hop vine. Every once in a while I go and shake the vine and a couple fly out. I'll post pics from the harvest

I'm near Philly - I've been bringing them in for a few weeks - the ones that are brown on the edges. Once they are off the vine, the less mature ones seem to grow faster. I've had two harvests so far with another quarter to half pound left to be brought in (one Cascade vine).

Mine were done in early August. I couldn't believe it either but they were practically breaking off on their own. I suspect they were getting a ton of reflected light off a white vinyl fence they were growing near. In other words, early morning and evening sun was a lot more intense than normal. Of course, it's also plausible that I picked too early.

I picked my 1st year cascade hop plant. I got about 8oz wet, which you can see from my picture is a full colander of pretty green cones. Thanks to SWMBO who assisted in picking them
DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

Back