Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Anyone above the 40th parallel... You are all killing your hop plants!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
Donasay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Anyone above the 40th parallel... You are all killing your hop plants!

Do you want to know why your hop plants aren't growing because it is to cold. Hop rhizomes like most plants won't start sprouting until the ground is warm enough for a long enough time. Before you plant them look up the last frost date for your region, anyone in New York, New England, Michigan, etc the last frost date is not for another 3 weeks. If you start plants inside before planting them outside you need to acclimatize them to the outside weather or they will die. Unfortunately for all of us we have hop rhizomes that are not going to start growing for another 3 weeks, so stop freaking out our climate is not the same as the people in texas or south carolina etc. Stop freaking out stop with the my hops are not growing etc.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 01:19 AM   #2
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Good info but, who pissed in yor wheaties this morning?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So much for Global Warming eh?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:23 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4471 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Well, I"m above the 45th parallel, and I'm not freaking. I'm waiting for the snow to melt before I even think about the hops. I imagine they'll come up after the snow is gone- and our last frost is usually around Father's Day.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

My hops are growing great.

But what do I know? I'm from Southern California. The weather here is great 100% of the time...

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 04-18-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Mine haven't even been shipped so I'm pretty confident that I'm not killing them... yet.

Have you been seeing lots of posts of people who pickaxed a hole in the frozen ground to drive their rhizomes into? I suppose we could all swarm them and post the video on Youtube, but I don't know if we could get enough of us sober at any given time to be able to do it with any real competance. It would be a bitch finding a DD amongst us.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:30 AM   #7
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuous
Good info but, who pissed in yor wheaties this morning?

No body pissed in my wheaties, I just see so many people killing their hop plants because they don't know anything about growing plants. I personally purchased 20 hop rhizomes, they are all in a bag in my refridgerator. I am going to plant them in about 3 weeks when the weather up here is appropriate, do you know how many of them I expect to live through to the end of the season, approximately 10.

Buying a rhizome is not buying a plant it is a plant cutting, it is a step above buying a seed. When you plant seeds, you never expect to get one plant per seed you put in the ground. There are probably 50 tomato seeds in a seed package, and out of those 50 seeds, you can expect to get 5 to 10 strong plants. I just want to introduce some realism here to all the people who say I bought 4 rhizomes and one isn't growing, well guess what that is normal.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 04-18-2008, 01:41 AM   #8
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I understand man. You dont see people jumpin all over our new brewers about drinking green beer. Its a new concept to alot of people and there is a learning curve for most of us.

Edit... EAC! j/k

Old 04-18-2008, 01:47 AM   #9
newbrewnut
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am from Michigan(lower), I received my rhizomes today. How long can they be left in the refigerator before it starts hurting the root?

Old 04-18-2008, 02:37 AM   #10
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbrewnut
I am from Michigan(lower), I received my rhizomes today. How long can they be left in the refigerator before it starts hurting the root?

You can leave them there as long as you need to. What's worse for them is to wait until it's hot out to plant them. Better to plant them as soon as the soil can be worked so that they can start putting roots down before the bines really take off.

Quick Reply