New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > any truth to the amarillo hop rumor (AB bought amarillo hop farm)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #31
WhoZiT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

As for the OP, any truth to this? I searched google for Anheuser Busch Amarillo and the only things that came up were related to a location, not a hop.

--------------------------------------------------

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #32
GVH_Dan

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'm pretty sure there won't be any big announcement confirming it. So we'll just have to wait to see if they are even more scarce next year, if that's possible.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #33
blacksquid
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I got a kg from my HBS last week - expensive at 45$ or so! Said a local microbrewery left them 5kg of it. Smells great, can't wait to brew a DIPA with it. The guy said I was super lucky but Ibeg to differ at that price!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #34
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I think we're all losing sight of what's important here. Which is that Twitter rumors are stupid and should never ever be believed until verified by a reputable source.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #35
Looper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You know what I've always wondered regarding these proprietary hops and the farms that grow them?

Obviously I'm not condoning or trying to give any ideas here, but how has nobody leaked rhizomes onto the market? All it would take is a flashlight and a shovel. And maybe a few IPAs..

Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #36
ArrowheadHops
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Amarillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
You know what I've always wondered regarding these proprietary hops and the farms that grow them?

Obviously I'm not condoning or trying to give any ideas here, but how has nobody leaked rhizomes onto the market? All it would take is a flashlight and a shovel. And maybe a few IPAs..
My friend, don’t forget the need to lawyer up if someone did such a thing. Brewers could begin to fight the cost of these patented hops if they just start using substitutes.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #37
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

There are tales of brewers finding seeds in their whole cones package. They wouldn't be a clone like from a rhizome but it would get you darn close. There's the chance of it being even better!

Unfortunately, if these tales are true, either the brewer wasn't a very skilled hop grower or they are just as stingy with their rhizomes.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #38
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 537 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 415

There are a few guys in Texas growing Amarillo hops.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #39
Looper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme
There are tales of brewers finding seeds in their whole cones package. They wouldn't be a clone like from a rhizome but it would get you darn close. There's the chance of it being even better!

Unfortunately, if these tales are true, either the brewer wasn't a very skilled hop grower or they are just as stingy with their rhizomes.
That's crazy! Ill keep an eye out for them haha.

Wouldn't surprise me though, if they pasteurized the hops in order to sterilize the DNA matter from being propagated.. If that's even possible

Old 05-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #40
sweetcell
Swollen Member

Recipes 

Liked 525 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 217

hop cones are kiln dried, i would expect that process to kill off the seeds.

only way that i've heard that will work (if you're lucky) is to order fresh (green) hops in the fall, hope that there is a viable piece of stalk in there, root that, then keep it going all winter until you can move it outside - and hope the damn thing survives all the stress. certainly not an easy thing to do.

and yes, if the patent owners hear that you have some of their protected intellectual property you can expect a threatening letter from their lawyers, regardless of how you obtained the plant material.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Quick Reply