Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > another transplanting question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
drobbins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default another transplanting question

Hi Folks

I planted 3 different types of hops in a raised bed last spring
I now realize it's going to be hard to tell who is who and I'd like to have more plants so I'm going to build 2 more raised beds and transplant some of the hops around so I have 1 type in each bed
I have no time constraints
when should I do this? fall after they die back, or next spring?
in general people say transplant trees/shrubs in the fall around here but the discussions I read here make me think folks are going to suggest spring for hops

Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
The Soft Underbelly
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've read that the time to propagate hops is in the spring time, which would suggest to me that this would also be the ideal time to transplant them. I'm in the same situation, 3 varieties in a raised bed and next year they'll be one big mess if i don't spread 'em apart. combine that with the fact that I'd like to add another variety or two next spring as well....

I'd defer to those wiser than me however...

Old 08-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
drobbins
Recipes 

as far as propagation goes, you're right that you plant rhizomes in spring
I will mention though that I've taken 10 cutting off my plants this summer and every one is doing great

Dave

Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobbins View Post
as far as propagation goes, you're right that you plant rhizomes in spring
I will mention though that I've taken 10 cutting off my plants this summer and every one is doing great

Dave
/OT How did you do that?

I'm too wondering if I can do it in the fall or if I have to wait for spring. I want to dump grains on them all winter and I wanted to transplant them this fall so they have a good layer of crap on top of them.

I'm back!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
drobbins
Recipes 

>>/OT How did you do that?

I just cut off side runners about 10" long and scraped the outer layer off the bottom inch or so of the stem. then I dipped them in rooting hormone which you get at a garden supply place and plant em in some potting soil. I've been rooting lots of stuff in the yard with excellent results, I'm amazed how easy it is. you GOTTA keep em damp while they're taking root

Dave

Old 08-07-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

Spring time is when the rhizomes are dormant, so they can be shipped.

Hop plants are very good at advantageous rooting. You can just bury part of a plant & it will root. It is common for sidearms to take root if they are long enough to touch the ground.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-07-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 541 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I was intending to move mine completey to a new location. Now I have thought well, why not split them and use both locations and double my fun. So, in summary, is it ok for me to wait till fall, dig up the root balls, chop the bloody things in half and then bury them again? (Sorry for the horticultural techical jargon there)

Old 08-07-2008, 01:40 AM   #8
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBrit View Post
....is it ok for me to wait till fall, dig up the root balls, chop the bloody things in half and then bury them again?
From what I've read about propogation, along with the fact that commercial farms only take cuttings in the spring has led me to plan on doing all of my fooling around underground as soon as the frost leaves the ground in the spring. I plan on taking rhizomes from my mature plant as well as raising it up before next year. I'm sure someone will disagree, but I don't recommend propogating before winter.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:38 AM   #9
drobbins
Recipes 

you need to realize that propogation can be done in different ways
as david 42 said, rhizomes are shipped in the spring because that's when they're dormant. but you can start new plants this time of year in several ways
taking sidearms and covering them with some dirt is easy but didn't serve my purpose because I also wanted to relocate the plants, so I went the cuttings route
if you start them now they have the advantage of getting a root system established so they're ready to take off next year
I'm new to all this, I'll let you folks know how my cuttings do next year, but so far they're putting out new growth and lookin good

Dave

Old 08-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
The Soft Underbelly
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobbins View Post
if you start them now they have the advantage of getting a root system established so they're ready to take off next year
I'm new to all this, I'll let you folks know how my cuttings do next year, but so far they're putting out new growth and lookin good
I think that would be my concern... that any cuttings taken from side arms might not develop a full enough root system to make it through the winter. Still, i'm quite interested to see how that turns out, probably a bit too late in the season for me to try that now though, but if it works for you, I'll definitely do it earlier next year though. Great experiment.

I took my lowest side arms in the early summer and buried them, mounding soil up around them. This seems to have helped establish new root growth and indeed these put out more shoots after a few weeks themselves. I'm curious to know how these will look in the spring when i move them to other beds.

Quick Reply