New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Advice for first time rhizome buyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 525 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider123 View Post
I live in Maine and I'm looking to plant some rhizomes this spring. I guess I have two questions. I see there are a couple places posting pre-buys already but the selections are generally limited to 8-10 varieties.

If I'm looking at buying maybe 8-10 rhizomes (maybe 2 of 4-5 varieties) is it necessary to pre-buy or is that for folks buying larger amounts?

Will the varieties that places offer increase as the spring gets closer? I'm looking for EKG, Saaz, Hallertau or Tettnang, Northern Brewer.

Thanks
Go with the hops crowns if you can find them. Since they already have an established root ball, the plants won't devote as much energy into producing a root structure and can focus more of it's energy into vegetative growth (and then, flowering).

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks again.

If I buy anymore I would like Saaz but I don't see many places selling that one. Maybe centennial for Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde.

I like beer

Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Brizzo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider123
I live in Maine and I'm looking to plant some rhizomes this spring. I guess I have two questions. I see there are a couple places posting pre-buys already but the selections are generally limited to 8-10 varieties.

If I'm looking at buying maybe 8-10 rhizomes (maybe 2 of 4-5 varieties) is it necessary to pre-buy or is that for folks buying larger amounts?

Will the varieties that places offer increase as the spring gets closer? I'm looking for EKG, Saaz, Hallertau or Tettnang, Northern Brewer.

Thanks

What part of maine? I too live in maine (farmington area) and I am looking to re-start growing hops( I had 2 varieties a few years ago but they didn't survive a move). I am considering hop starts instead of rhizomes and I am looking at cascade, nugget, centennial, columbus and chinook. Once your hops get established maybe we swap some variates.

Does anyone know if hop starts will produce th first year better then rhizomes?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
HALIFAXHOPS
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I have pleny if needed. Look at my other posts. Good luck with them. Verry rewarding.

Got Hops?

There is no problem to big or small not to be fixed by enough beer!
Just do not have your beer held hostage by the wife or you will never get anything halfway done!

Quick Reply