The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > 3rd year harvest!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Default 3rd year harvest!

My 3rd year hops did very well. I got about 6 lbs wet or so from 3 Cascade plants. I think they could have been better if the 3 plants didn't all grow up in a tangled mess at the top. I will have to separate them next year so they don't shade each other to much.

Now they are drying on window screens laid across the top of my utility trailer in the garage with a box fan blowing into the back of the trailer.

So what should I get for weight of dry hops? Like something under 2 lbs?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 509

That's a nice harvest. I have the same tangled mess at the top. I can get up there with my bucket truck and might see if I can borrow a hedge trimmer to cut along the cable? Picking thursday...a little late...lots of browing but they smell great and some huge cones!

IIRC, last year we had about a 1:4 dry to wet weight.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I went and picked some fresh Chinook and Cascades yesterday and was told I would lose roughly 40% of the weight once they dry

Old 08-31-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4575 Times on 4481 Posts
Likes Given: 1964

My cascades made BY FAR the biggest top "plume" of all my varieties. I got 3 lbs wet off one 3rd year plant that I limited at about 13.5 ft. It would have easily gone 20 ft if I would have had the setup for it (all mine this year would have, what a great growing season)...

Old 08-31-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4575 Times on 4481 Posts
Likes Given: 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I went and picked some fresh Chinook and Cascades yesterday and was told I would lose roughly 40% of the weight once they dry
If picked at the right time the weight difference should be between 5:1 or 6:1 wet weight to dry. That is roughly 16-20% of original wet weight.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Good timing Homer I took my three cascades down tonight with a similar harvest. Six lbs. wet should be around a lb. dry, give or take. My plants were severely neglected this year as I left them at the old house with only a visit or two a week. I listened to the Whitecaps for an hour and a half while I picked on the ladder.

Agreed on great season Randar. We needed water here after early July which I wasn't around to provide. Cones were on the whole smaller and not quite as aromatic. I feel like a deadbeat father. Should be remedied next year when I go full power pole trellis and real soil. Now to find the poles...............

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Yeah, not a bad harvest I'd say. The only problem I had was that the large clump on top shaded some and I had a lot of smaller cones up there on the inside.

I watered mine pretty much every other day with a soaker hose for like 45 minutes, unless it rained.

1 + something pounds is pretty good for me. I still have some of last years, so I think I'll be ok. It's more for the fun of growing than anything. Although I did mention to the wife that I am thinking about planting some other variety under the telephone pole by the shed. Lots of sun, and the only thing on the pole now is the cable TV, which we don't use anyway. Plenty of height! But it will take a few years to get production. And I hear some other varieties don't grow as well as Cascade. I'd like to try some Saaz, or EKG maybe. I have plenty of yard, so I *could* set up a few plants here and there.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

My cascades hops are now dry, and I'll be packaging them today. I didn't weigh them wet, but there were 2 1/2 five gallon buckets that we picked.

We had a great year for hops- lots of sun and lots of rain. I'm not even bothering to pick my hallertauer hops- there are tons of them but I never use them and picking them is a lot of work!

My first year chinooks did very well, and Bob is picking the cones today. I'll probably end up with an ounce or two of chinooks.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
rniles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperGrandma View Post
I'm not even bothering to pick my hallertauer hops- there are tons of them but I never use them and picking them is a lot of work! .
Maybe post to a local brewers club and see if they will come out and pick a bunch - hate to see something go to waste ...I definitely would if I lived anywhere close to you!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #10
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

+1 Yoop if you were my neighbor I'd definately come clean out your Hallertau. Mine don't do so well here. I had high hopes with all the wheats I like to make but they just don't seem to want to grow. Maybe next year when I move them to the new house.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Quick Reply