Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > 3 out of 4 rhizomes growing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
Craigvu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 3 out of 4 rhizomes growing

So I planted 4 different varieties about 6 weeks ago. My Cascade, Fuggle, and Kent Goldings are all growing like crazy (3+ ft. tall), but my Chinook (the one i was most excited about) isn't more than 1" tall. Any thoughts on how to revive growth on this one? All were planted in the same pots, soil, and are in the same location now. On a southern facing side of my apt building, so they're getting about 8 hours a day of sunlight, and all appear to be healthy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As long as it's showing signs of life, you should leave it alone. Fertilizing at this point could possibly damage the plant. Some hops tend to be a little slower than others. Either way, you won't get much of a yield this year. Letting it go and continuing to water it will help build the roots so you get better growth next year.

If you decide to use fertilizer, then go with a slow release fertilizer.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 05-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Last year my Chinook was my slowest grower. It was easily half the height of the rest of my hops. When I wrote it off as "next years yield" it came back, shot up, grew taller than my other plants and produced my highest 1st year yield plant (6 dried ounces). As a 2nd year plant, it's my strongest plant.

I've written this before, different hops produce at different times and generate different yields. If your not comparing same hop to same hop, don't compare them.

Quick Reply