2013 hops harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoHotel

Reaction score
After picking 5.6 oz of wet Sunbeam hops, I checked the forum for a running tally of hops harvested this year. Not finding one, I figured I would start one. After drying I netted just over an ounce. I can't be the only one getting some harvesting in, so lets tally for the dried hops collected in oz. for 2013.

1.1 oz Sunbeam

Yeah, I am a month away from any substantial harvest......like grapes you don't want to harvest until they have peaked.

Yeah, I am a month away from any substantial harvest......like grapes you don't want to harvest until they have peaked.

Must be lucky. Mine all had brown tips and we're dry like paper with tons of yellow lupulin inside. My Willamette and Nugget are just throwing some spurs now :-D

One month, problem is, I am not sure whether my hops are Cascades or Chinooks, lost the labels. I guess I'll buy some to compare and figure out which survived.

When do you harvest hops or know when they are ready? New grower and my plants all have comes

Pulled 7 oz cascade, about 3oz of centennial and 3 oz nugget Sat ,dryed and vac sealed. I couldn't get over the awesome aroma of this years so I threw a bunch in a brew yesterday. Looked and smelled better then most.
Still got a second run of burs that will probably be ready by mid end August.
Running total =28.6 ozs

image-2137300800.jpg

5.05 oz dried of Tettnang from half of one of my plants.

Makes 33.65 oz of dried hops.

Hops Dried.jpg

One month, problem is, I am not sure whether my hops are Cascades or Chinooks, lost the labels. I guess I'll buy some to compare and figure out which survived.

You should be able to tell the difference between the two if not by smell than by color and growing characteristics. Chinook are way stickier (more lupulin) than Cascade and the plants tend to have less leaves and more of a yellowish color. If you can't tell, post a picture and let the HBT community weigh in. :mug:

I will post my totals when I can harvest. Mine are just starting to show tons of burrs and some really big side arms. I am quite pleased. I did not expect them to grow let alone produce anything the first year if they did. The rhizomes I planted were dried out, moldy, and were not planted till late May due. With any luck I will get enough to do a hoppy fresh hopped beer this year.

^I'm excited for my first year Nugget, already see some hops and a bunch of burrs. The hops are unripe, but there's already so much lupulin that it can be seen without lifting a bract

3 more dry ounces picked from 2nd year cascade

40 oz from my 3yr year cascade
about 5 oz from my second yr centennial. Might get a few cones from my 2nd yr colombus and saaz.

Brewed a wet hop ale sunday:

12.25 lb 2 row
.75 carapils
.5 crystal 20

1 oz mosaic 60 min
.5 mosaic 30 min

10 oz cascade 15 min
10 oz cascade 10 min
15 oz half cascade half centennial 5 min
10 oz cascade 0 min

steep 45 min
wlp001

dry hop will be 2 oz centennial, 0.5 mosaic, 1 chinook, maybe 1 cascade.

dry hops and 60/30 min additions are pellets. my theory is to keep the grain bill and the yeast very neutral to let the hops shine. So we'll see how it turns out.

When I took the hop bag out of the kettle, it was massive! It looked like about 4 gallon jugs in there. Been fermenting away nicely since sunday.

Dried my Willamette harvest.....8.5oz. Just put some in a 100% North Carolina pale ale (wild barley that was growing near my house). Also ended up with 4oz of Chinook.

Could you Post you dry yields in oz with a running total? That way we can see how much was harvested total in 2013.

7.5 lbs is 120 oz. 1/4 of that is 30 oz. Safe to say your 30 oz is your dry yield?

We are at 113.65 dry oz (7.1 lbs) so far.

Dried my Willamette harvest.....8.5oz. Just put some in a 100% North Carolina pale ale (wild barley that was growing near my house). Also ended up with 4oz of Chinook.

Uh, what? Wild barley? Why have I not heard of/thought of/researched/obsessed/used this idea before? Id like to know how it tastes!

brooksy said:
Uh, what? Wild barley? Why have I not heard of/thought of/researched/obsessed/used this idea before? Id like to know how it tastes!

I don't want to get this thread off topic. Briefly.... found a field of wild barley on my morning run. Waited for it to dry, harvested, malted, dried/roasted, milled, and brewed. End result is a Willamette Pale Ale with 100% NC products. The yeast is my house strain I have been using for two years. It is conditioning currently. if there is more interest I will make my own thread.

I don't want to get this thread off topic. Briefly.... found a field of wild barley on my morning run. Waited for it to dry, harvested, malted, dried/roasted, milled, and brewed. End result is a Willamette Pale Ale with 100% NC products. The yeast is my house strain I have been using for two years. It is conditioning currently. if there is more interest I will make my own thread.

Please do, I would like to read the whole story with your experience and tips.

Harvested half my crop yesterday (3rd year centennial and cascade). 2 plants yielded 14oz dry hops

113.65 + 14.0 = 127.65

Time to brew!!

image-3333043882.jpg

image-3311063830.jpg

Just vacuum sealed 12.2 ounces of dried hops from my second year plants.

10.7 ounces of Chinook and a very sad 1.5 ounces of Perle. At least that is 1.5 ounces more than I got out of the Perle year 1. I'm happy with the overall haul.

1st year growing Hops, tons of burs that are rapidly filling out into cones, unfortunately, as a novice grower, I let a ton of bines grow resulting in smaller cones.
I'm excited as all hell, but next year will be much better!

30.5 dry ounces of Centennial cones vac-bagged and headed for the hop freezer.

attachment.php

So 139.85 coming in + 30.5 = 170.35 going forward...

Cheers!

Back