Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > 2012 Hop Swap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
starsailor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have chinook, saaz, crystal, golding, cascade, fuggle, sterling, nugget, cluster, brewers gold, centenial, zeus, and canadian redvine. Haven't seen shoots yet and haven't dug rhizomes, but I typically get at least a couple rhizomes of each every year, with a ton of fuggle and cascade I'm looking to trade for varieties I don't have yet, especially citra or sorachi ace if I possible. PM if you want to swap.

Primary: Rye-I-Brew Belgian Rye Saison
Secondary: None
On Deck: Wheat ale
RIP: BadBoy Wit, Wild Cider, Got Mild?x2, Wyeast Cider-2x, SO4 Cider, Wheat ale, Carnival Kölsch-2x, Am Pale Ale, Am Brown Ale, Dunkel Larger, Erik The Red, Newporter, Cream Ale, Bitter, Trapist Triple, Bourbon Oaked Porter, Gluteus Minimus(Gluten Free)-2x, English Brown

Wizards Homebrew Club

Last edited by starsailor; 03-20-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: forgot canandian redvine in my list

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #22
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsailor View Post
citra or sorachi ace if I possible.
unfortunately not possible - those two varieties are patented/non-public. no one has them, except the farms that own them or are under contract (which includes stipulations that they not sell/trade the rhizomes). they'll go public at some point... who knows when, tho.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #23
starsailor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
unfortunately not possible - those two varieties are patented/non-public. no one has them, except the farms that own them or are under contract (which includes stipulations that they not sell/trade the rhizomes). they'll go public at some point... who knows when, tho.
Thanks for that. BTW, that's an excellent hop comparison table you put together. We all appreciate you doing that so well.

Oh, where did you get the info on the Canadian Red Vine variety. A fellow member threw in some on an exchange I did a couple of years back, but I haven't been able to find much info about them to brew that much with them. They grow like a weed on steroids and produce a ton of cones even in parital sun.
Primary: Rye-I-Brew Belgian Rye Saison
Secondary: None
On Deck: Wheat ale
RIP: BadBoy Wit, Wild Cider, Got Mild?x2, Wyeast Cider-2x, SO4 Cider, Wheat ale, Carnival Kölsch-2x, Am Pale Ale, Am Brown Ale, Dunkel Larger, Erik The Red, Newporter, Cream Ale, Bitter, Trapist Triple, Bourbon Oaked Porter, Gluteus Minimus(Gluten Free)-2x, English Brown

Wizards Homebrew Club

Old 03-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Quote:
Thanks for that. BTW, that's an excellent hop comparison table you put together. We all appreciate you doing that so well.

Oh, where did you get the info on the Canadian Red Vine variety. A fellow member threw in some on an exchange I did a couple of years back, but I haven't been able to find much info about them to brew that much with them. They grow like a weed on steroids and produce a ton of cones even in parital sun.
thanks for you kind words, always nice to hear it's useful.

i found info on the redvine a little all over the place. my research methodology wasn't very rigorous - as i came across a new source of info i'd add it to the spreadsheet without keeping notes of what came from where. so the best i can tell you is that the source is one of the references at the bottom of the spreadsheet...

i just googled "how to use canadian redvine" and came up with a bunch of info. some compare them to cluster, while others mention cascade. they contain a hig percentage of cohumulene so they aren't good for bittering (unless you like that harsh cohumulene bitterness, of course).

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 03-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #25
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Quote:

A fellow up in New York, Norm Soine(RIP), gave me some rhizomes back in the early 90's and no one knew anything about them. While visiting out in Oregon I asked Dr. Al Haunold. He did an oil profile on them and positivly ID"d them. So now they're growing at the research center collection. I never picked up anything really desirable 'aroma-wise' from them, but what do I know. I can smell pretty good, but not good enough to pick up what others can. http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/person/2450/hopcultivars/21679.html

Just got done digging for the day and here's a pic of the monster Redvine crown. it's been in the same location for about 14 years and gets cut back every Spring. Never had any escapees yet.
rhizome-redvine-4.jpg  

Old 03-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #26
marms
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra_medium View Post
It is almost time! Anyone else in on an exchange? I would like some Northern Brewer or anything piney.
ive got northern brewer and cascade. looking for centennial

Old 03-22-2012, 02:28 AM   #27
extra_medium
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

stupid ohio weather...shoots are already over a foot tall! I'll try to get some in the mail this weekend. those that PM'd me, i need mailibg addresses, I'll try to get everyone.

Salute!

_____
~XM~

Best Hop Manual Ever
My brew sculpture

Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #28
Bigcorona
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Brewers Gold received and in the ground. Thanks!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #29
lkj7295
Recipes 

Does anyone have any rhizomes left that they want to sell? i know its late in the year, but trying to get some in the ground now so they'll do better next year.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:23 AM   #30
extra_medium
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Rehashing this thread. I would like to get either Warrior or Summit, I have cascade, centennial, Zeus, brewers gold, Canadian Red Vine, Willamette, chinook and either EKG or Saaz (I think I got their labels reversed last year). OR if any one is just interests in paying for shipping I can send out a rhizome. I am taking them out of their 30 gallon containers they have been in for the past three or four years and putting them in the ground soon. PM me address and type and I will get them out as soon as I can.

Salute!

_____
~XM~

Best Hop Manual Ever
My brew sculpture

Quick Reply