Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > 2010 Hop Harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4611 Times on 4514 Posts
Likes Given: 2129

That's nuthin re: Japanese beetles. They chewed the crap out of some of my hops and seemed to like the bines that ended up being my biggest producers! Hehe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
alcibiades
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

got a pound of wet, all went into a pale ale. I just tasted it at two weeks...its going to be amazing! now i just gotta figure out how to dry hop with wet hops

Old 08-30-2010, 03:25 AM   #13
JFry
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I already gotten about 3/4 lb (dry weight) from my Cascades. By the way, I've found that when dried, a gallon zip lock bag is about four ounces, and I have three of these in my freezer. The worrisome thing is that I have easily that much or more left on to be harvested in the future. I don't know what I'm going to do with all of these - more than last year, and the last of my harvest from last year is mellowing in bottles now. I'll probably give away lots of them. Also, I've noticed that bringing in the big ones seems to get the little ones left behind to speed up growing.

My Mount Hood, on the other hand, I should probably just pull up - I might get an ounce of them again this year.

Cascade apparently grows like weeds around my area (Philadelphia 'burbs). I have a good spot that is on the top of a hill and gets blasted by the sun from sunrise until about 1:00 PM.
Good to know an early harvest seems to swpeed up the smaller cones. My plants are loaded with smaller cones. Checked today and the big ones did seem ready. I will harvest next weekend.

I concur on Cascade. It does grow like a weed in the Philadelphia area. I did get good growth on a Tettnang this year but poor hop production.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #14
bosox
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well my 1st year Mt. Hoods didn't produce anything this year, but my 1st year Cascades produced about 25 cones, so dried I doubt it's much more then 1/4 oz, I didn't bother measuring, I'll just be throwing them in as part of a dry hop for my next brew. The hops smeleld GREAT though, never smelled anything as beautiful before

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Christmas Ale
Conditioning: Nothing
On Deck: Oktoberfest/Summer Ale
In The Garden: 2nd year Cascades

Old 08-31-2010, 03:19 AM   #15
Saint Aardvark
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosox View Post
Well my 1st year Mt. Hoods didn't produce anything this year, but my 1st year Cascades produced about 25 cones, so dried I doubt it's much more then 1/4 oz, I didn't bother measuring, I'll just be throwing them in as part of a dry hop for my next brew. The hops smeleld GREAT though, never smelled anything as beautiful before
You didn't mention if it was the first year for your cascades, but that pretty much matches what I got last year (the first year the plants were in) from my Cascades. This year, though, Cascades were almost 2 lbs wet (currently drying, so we'll see what happens), and the Mt Hood was almost 1.5 lbs. Just wait 'til next year!

Fermenting: Unnamed IPA
Last batch: Infected :(
Coming up: Howto batch for a friend; theme bath for local HBC

Quick Reply