Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > 1st year hops.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
jshnks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st year hops.

Well they are growing faster then expected(i dont really know what i expected) Anyway, would it be a bad idea to go ahead and remove them from there pots, and plant them in the ground ? as there pots are a bit small. and there upwards of 6' already

Would it also be in idea to prune the top of them, and hopefully get a thicker bine going on?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice hops! I think it would be good to move the hops into another pot "carefully" or into the ground. The roots are going to get cramped soon and the hops are going to suck all the nutrients out of the soil quick the way that they are growing. I wouldnt worry about pruning them at the moment.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Wow! Nice growth there considering those are first years and it is this early. When did you plant them?

As far as moving them I have no valuable experience. I have moved mine earlier in the season when they either haven't broke the ground or barely have.

Those are pretty small pots if from the scale I can tell. What about trying to continue training them up the side of the house or something?

Also, why is everything in the driveway? Is this the maximum sun spot or something?

Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
PintOfBitter
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i'm digging the driveway jungle. And I have bine envy. my first years are just about 1' tall right now.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
jshnks
Recipes 

i think i planted them middle of march, it was after my birthday and my birthday is march 11th, so around then. as for the everything being in the driveway, its just "place holders"
till we figure out where the plants are going to go the best sun spot is on the left side of the house. i have another 4' chinook sitting outside my window on the second story porch roof. But yes the pots are small, so i want to get them in the ground, i just dont want to killthe plant doing it

Old 04-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would get them in the ground as soon as you can. The first year is really about root development so the sooner you free those roots the better. I wouldn't worry about killing them in the transplant. Hops are VERY hearty plants. They will recover from any transplanting dammage very quickly.

Any pruning of the plant should be done at the base not the tip and make sure the tip is never cut off or broken either or the bine will stop growing. I wouldn't do any pruning of a first year plant. It won't make your bines any bigger or stronger. Just let it do it's thing. Good luck!

Quick Reply