The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > 1st season Centennials- onion/garlic odor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Hoppy View Post
Could very well be and these folks have a little more sophisticated testing equipments than I so I'd go with them, but every year for the last 20+, when I get around to taking the poles down in October and smell the ones left on the vine, that's what I get. I'm not a hop expert but used to play one on the railroad, ha! Hoppy Harvest~

Edit: After thinking about it, the cones that are left on the vines are the ones that aren't mature at harvest so they get left behind. Is there a possibility that due to the days getting shorter and the plant's energy moving downward at that time, those 'less than mature' hops tend to remain that way rather than being able to completely ripen and never progress beyond the onion/garlic stage? Something to ponder so now it looks like I need a beer . . .
not sure but it is interesting I must admit. maybe ill brew up a small extract batch with the garlic hops to see how bad they really are.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 799 Posts

I've only been growing for three years, and I likely haven't totally nailed the perfect time to harvest my Centennial, Cascade and Chinook plants (there's not only the learning/experience curve to ascend; timing can get thrown off because other aspects of life get in the way).

But so far the only time I've detected any garlic/onion notes was on "second harvest" of Centennial cones that were left on the bine too long. I've never gotten even a hint of such aroma from the Cascade or Chinook, regardless of when they were picked. So if I err on the Centennials, it's always to pull the trigger sooner than later. The Cascades and Chinook seem comparatively bullet-proof...

Cheers!

Old 09-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #13
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedo View Post
maybe ill brew up a small extract batch with the garlic hops to see how bad they really are.
If you do and it's anything like my experience, you should plan on a big pasta dinner for the 'uncorking'. Some of the first wild ones I found must have past their 'born on' date. They smelled kinda 'ok', but I was determined to brew with them. Lets just say that the resulting beer would have best been enjoyed with something that pared very well with garlic (not a big paring person~just like IPA's with or w/o anything). Please, don't let me discourage you, I would love to see what somebody else comes up with just to compare notes! Hoppy Brewing!

"Neil & I would've tweeted from the moon if we could have but I would prefer to tweet from Mars. Maybe by 2040" ~ @TheRealBuzz, Buzz Aldrin 11:20 PM - 04 Jan 13

Old 09-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Hoppy View Post
If you do and it's anything like my experience, you should plan on a big pasta dinner for the 'uncorking'. Some of the first wild ones I found must have past their 'born on' date. They smelled kinda 'ok', but I was determined to brew with them. Lets just say that the resulting beer would have best been enjoyed with something that pared very well with garlic (not a big paring person~just like IPA's with or w/o anything). Please, don't let me discourage you, I would love to see what somebody else comes up with just to compare notes! Hoppy Brewing!
well thats not good. we had an all citra beer go garlic on us and i didnt like that.

Quick Reply