Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > 15 minute hop trellis

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008, 03:51 AM   #11
SixFoFalcon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The black iron is only for the uprights. The part that sees soil is galvanized. It's similar to the volleyball net setup we had in my yard growing up. That galvanized pipe has lasted 10+ years directly in the soil, so I'm not worried about this stuff rusting away any time soon. Even if it does, another $5-10 and 5 minutes of time is no big thing to me.

Cuinrearview, one of the reasons I went with the threaded pipe is because it's no big deal to add another 6' section next year. I think 9.5-10' is plenty for year one, and I think 16' is plenty from then on. The cable is rated for over 100 pounds (tensile) which according to what I remember from engineering classes, is more than enough.

On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #12
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I realize the purpose of the threaded fitting, and the cables and what-not are more than enough to handle the weight. From experience, 16 feet MAY be enough. I've had years where 12 handles all of the growth, then years like this where 20 probably wouldn't contain it all. My growth tips were ripped off a week ago on the older plant, so it's no longer a problem.

My point about more permanent is that I look at that and while I appreciate the ingenuity, I also am not naive to the fact that a fully grown plant with leaves will topple it in a strong windstorm. Especially when the black pipe weakens from rust.

The materials, design, and pictures are top-notch. You obviously know your stuff and how to get your "babies" up in the air. I am in no way criticizing what you've done, just asking you to think long term. I think that with the way farming in the U.S. is taking a turn we'll be best served to grow our own hops and learn how to use them for many years. At least this is my plan.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #13
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You're right, I may need to add guy lines once the plants fill out and start increasing the wind load requirements. In the mean time, the cross-cable is performing a dual role of keeping the poles tensioned so they don't sway, and of course keeping the sisal twine elevated.

On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Quick Reply