New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > 100% homegrown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #101
steadfasthops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

you need this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #102
drummstikk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Old 03-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #103
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

That's a beautiful thing. Looking good!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #104
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Looks great. This is a neat stage. The field goes from a uneven ragged looking crop to a nice full fields of barley heads.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #105
drummstikk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the words, people.

Accumulated GDD since emergence of the first leaf = 1093.

Most of the field is at awn emergence, right were Merit was around the same GDD:

The most advanced part of the field seems to be in flowering, with most heads emerged or partially emerged, about a week ahead of Merit. This is the same trend that has existed going back to the first stages of leaf development.

Even the short, nutrient-deficient part of the field has emerging awns:

although, they are patchier there than in the healthy parts.

Anybody familiar enough with kernel development to know if this guy is past flowering and into the soft dough stage?

I guess the main conclusion I have so far is that fertilization and perhaps planting rate have a drastic impact on plant development. We'll see if that carries over into the yield I can get from different parts of the field.

Also worth pointing out -- the field is crawling with aphids:

They don't seem to have carried any viruses, but I would have liked to have sprayed with an insecticide early on. Still have the option, but navigating the field is so hard, that I imagine I would cause more damage to the plants than I would prevent. Any advice here?

Old 03-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #106
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Looks great. I believe you will see the flowers. Been awhile since we raised barley, but flowers are very evident in wheat. I bet you will see them soon.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #107
KemP130
Recipes 

In my opinion I think it is too late to spray. All that is left is grain fill and you won't lose much from the aphids.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:28 AM   #108
drummstikk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemP130 View Post
In my opinion I think it is too late to spray. All that is left is grain fill and you won't lose much from the aphids.
Agreed.

Fife, are these flowers?

I also noticed a bunch of dust (pollen?) floating off of the heads when I shake them. I was under the impression that most barley lines are selfing, that they only mate with themselves because pollination occurs internally to each seed. There aren't any other barley crops near my field (the bere hasn't even headed yet), so I'm not worried about genetic contamination. But I'm just curious: is this a sign that Conlon barley is able to have sex?

In other news:

I have a crop circle! Actually, it's more of a blob. And even more actually, it's lodging. Lodging happens in varieties with plump grains when they get a little too much nutrition combined with some rain and wind. Last week we had half an inch of rain, which doesn't sound like too much, but apparently it was enough to do the trick.

The plants are bent over at their 1st node, and they have begun to straighten up at the 3rd node. The overall effect is an S-shape in the stalk. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much to be done once the crop is lodged. There will be some losses, but many of the plants will straighten out and produce grain:

You can see the flag leaves and awns of the lodged plants still pointing skyward, albeit at a lower elevation.

Now check this out: the lodged area is right next to and has received the same amount of fertilizer as the area that is stumpy and yellow. I indicated the lodged area on this old photo:

Lodging can be caused by several things, but it typically doesn't happen to undernourished crops. So what's going on?

I can't say I'm sure. It could be that nitrogen was distributed in a strange pattern in the soil from a previous crop. Or it could be that the stumpy crop and lodging both have something to do with water.

The lush crop that had a lodged section is located in an arc around an irrigation head. Maybe this head is usually providing plenty of water (too much last week), but the rest of plot 2 is underwatered. Now, I don't think the crop shows signs of water stress. I haven't seen any wilting. But as Fife suggested, it could be that the crop in this part of the field has short roots due to frequent but too light watering. Those short roots may have exhausted the nitrogen in the top layer of soil, and they may be unable to get to nitrogen in dry deeper layers.

It's just a guess -- I won't know the water depth for sure until I dig a hole. Any thoughts here are much appreciated, as always.

Well, though the patchy-ass nature of the field has thus become more patchy-ass, there is plenty of good news to be had in picture form:

These grain heads are on the shortest, most nitrogen-deficient-looking plants in the whole field! Whatever the issue is, I'm still going to get some grain from this part.

This shovel is about four feet tall, and awn tips in this part of the field are at nip height.

A few of the bere plants are beginning to show their six-row heads, though most are just beginning to show emerging awns.

Hmm, that looks like at least one 5-gallon keg full of beer. Must not get hopes up, must not get hopes up...

Old 03-21-2012, 04:35 AM   #109
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It looks awesome, i think you'll have plenty of threshing fodder.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #110
ASublimeDay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A solution for the aphids would be to buy a big ass box of ladybugs and release them. 15 bucks for 1,500 bugs in my area. They'll take care of those aphids without damaging the plants.

Quick Reply