Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > 10 straight days of measurable rainfall

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #31
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4749 Times on 4380 Posts
Likes Given: 59

More storms last night.

I dunno how fast the winds were but, I woke up this morning to find my sons sand table (10 to 15 pounds of sand inside) flipped over and the news talking about power lines knocked down in the area.

Instinct told me to check the hops.

Yep. Battered again. The 3 plants that had survived the previous storms are now beaten. The winds managed to un-wind the bines thus leaving a large portion of the plant to thrash in the wind.

I am thinking the best thing I can do now is chop them ALL down and train newer shoots. I think there is still plenty of time for the plants to have enough hearty growth and produce a decent harvest. Plus, given that I just recently fed them with very well composted manure I expect they will boom before long.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #32
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4749 Times on 4380 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Beating a dead horse here.

Summer hasn't even "officially" begun and my Centennial has already formed hops. I expect all this rain, and cloud cover has it all screwed up. The real pisser is that the 70+mph winds from the previous night managed to whip enough slack out of the drop lines to cause the bines (all 6) to "fold". Meaning all the growth is lost anyways.

Fortunately, the cones are still young enough there isn't much of any trace of lupulin inside them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply