New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Yep, another dead guy clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #21
Ryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"Begin thread jack"

Revvy,
You said that you get the Dead Guy at a Ruby Tuesdays on 26 mile. I have never had Dead Guy Ale before, and I would love to give it a try. Since I live on 24 mile (and Hayes) I was thinking about giving it a shot. I am thinking it must be out more towards the Gratiot (sp?) way since I haven't been that way in a number of years. Is the one you are talking about out this way?

"End thread jack"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
You know, I'm an idiot! A couple of days ago, we just drank a 22 ouncer of Dead Guy I got in a beer swap. Did I even remember to save the yeast? NO! I bought the ingredients already, of course- but didn't even think about the pacman yeast! Duh! Good thing my yeast refrigerator has 1056 in it.
Revvy- if you ever start your slant hobby- you let me know!
I may use some of my "economic stimulus" extra money to buy a pack of slants and a burner this week...So I may have some slants to send you next week, I'll pm you for your address if I do...If you were closer to my neck of the state I'd just give you a jar of sludge....

What I've been doing if I have a rogue, even if I'm not ready to harvest, is to leave a couple of inches of beer in the bottom, then flame or give the mouth of the bottle a blast of sanitizer and re-cap, then I stick it in the fridge until I'm ready to grow usually- 2-3 days....This last batch I ended up with 4bombers with yeasties when I was ready...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #23
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
"Begin thread jack"

Revvy,
You said that you get the Dead Guy at a Ruby Tuesdays on 26 mile. I have never had Dead Guy Ale before, and I would love to give it a try. Since I live on 24 mile (and Hayes) I was thinking about giving it a shot. I am thinking it must be out more towards the Gratiot (sp?) way since I haven't been that way in a number of years. Is the one you are talking about out this way?

"End thread jack"
Unfortunately, 2 weeks ago when I went in they were out and told me that they were not planning to carry it again...grrrrr...

The Ruby's is on Gratiot and 23 mile road....

I'm trying to think of a beer store up your way that would carry it....If you come up Port Huron way you can get bottles of it at a couple beer stores here...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #24
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Have you ACTUALLY seen loose packs of pacman?
Indeed I have, and that's why I mentioned it. My LHBS is (or was, I haven't been there in a few weeks) selling the Wyeast packets loose in the hop cooler. It's the only Wyeast they sell, every other liquid yeast is White Labs. I guess there's advantages to living so close to Hood River, OR where Wyeast is based out of.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe we should start setting up some kind of a yeast swap. Or maybe a beer/yeast swap, where we can trade seasonal yeasts for other hard to find yeasts, or trade beer.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 05-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #25
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
Indeed I have, and that's why I mentioned it. My LHBS is (or was, I haven't been there in a few weeks) selling the Wyeast packets loose in the hop cooler. It's the only Wyeast they sell, every other liquid yeast is White Labs. I guess there's advantages to living so close to Hood River, OR where Wyeast is based out of.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe we should start setting up some kind of a yeast swap. Or maybe a beer/yeast swap, where we can trade seasonal yeasts for other hard to find yeasts, or trade beer.
I found out the deal over the weekend....The much wanted Pacman is ONLY available through HBS's and Online through authorized Brewcraft distrubitors. So that means that if your store, (like the lhbs that I frequent) or favorite online retailer doesn't carry other Brewcraft products, then we are SOL....

I'm glad my harvesting is successful....I have an amber ale fermenting right now that I used some of my pacman in. I have to say WOW....I aerated with my O2 setup and washed my sample with distilled water and pitched, and I had major airlock activity within a couple of hours!

Hopefully it will turn out great....I'm already planning to brew another batch of Yooper's Dead Guy Clone with the yeast in a couple weeks.

I like your idea of a yeast swap...I'm trying ot lay my hands on some small test tubes to make up some slants (I promised Yooper I'd send her some.)

Evil, what the heck is your new AV, it looks like someone smashing a brown growler of beer into their face!?!

Old 05-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #26
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
I can't imagine they would be two year old packs in the backyard of wyeast. Do they get any other special strains the rest of us are not?

I did a dead guy inspired ale that I have been enjoying quite a bit lately...though with 2565 Kolsch.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 AM   #27
jonbrout
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Edit-Nvm. lol

Last edited by jonbrout; 02-17-2009 at 10:24 PM.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #28
jtaguy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I brewed yoopers Dead Guy Ale clone on Friday the 13th. I named it, "13 Dead Guys Ale" in honor. It is now racked to the secondary and I can't wait for bottling day!! Thanks for the recipe! A friend di it months ago and it was spot on! Salute!!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #29
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Now that's a zombie. Over three years in the dirt.
Glad to hear about your beer though!

Quick Reply