Yep, another dead guy clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gargoyle

Reaction score
Brewed up a dead guy clone, which is now carbed in the keg and ready to go, so i just couldn't resist the side by side comparison.

DeadGuy3.JPG

Left is the original, right is mine. myself and 2 friends had a hard time telling them apart. I am so happy with this brew, i will probably have to keep it on tap permanently.

Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Pacman
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 at 60 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 at 60 degrees

13oz Belgiun Cara-Munich
13oz German Munich
7oz US Crystal 40 deg L

Steep grains in a bag at 155 degrees. Sparge with 1/2 gallon 170 degree water. Allow grains to drip into pot, but don't squeeze. Discard grains. Bring to a boil and add:

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME
(I substituted all XLDME)

1 oz perle 60 mins
1/4 oz perle 30 minutes
1/4 oz perle 5 mins
1/4 oz saaz 5 mins.

1 tsp Irish Moss 15 minutes

pacman yeast. If pacman is not available, try 1056 (American Ale yeast).

For AG, just use 12 pounds of base malt (maris otter works great, but I'm not sure it's a true clone) instead of the extract.

I couldn't get pacman yeast, so iused the 1056, and it turned out great.

This is not my recipe, it was shamlessly found online, however, for myself, the results were great.

yeah, Yooper is the force behind this recipe..im sure yours will turn out great.

I have been such a huge fan of the original rogue dead guy, that finding YooperBrews recipe, and having it work so well was awesome.

The forums here are such a huge repository of knowledge.

Did you actually find pacman? My Lhbs tried to find some for me, but according to their distributor, it would only be available as part of the Brewcraft kit.

Instead of 1056 (which Yooper recomened as a sub) the guy at my LHBS who I trust recommended 1338 Euro Ale instead I made a huge starter for it.

I had some Rogue Dead Guy on tap at Ruby Tuesday's last weekend and it was fantastic.

keiths said:
I had some Rogue Dead Guy on tap at Ruby Tuesday's last weekend and it was fantastic.

Yeah I found it there about 6 weeks ago I started a thread about it back then....on Wednesdays my GF and I have taken to meeting at the one on 26 mile road after work.....She loves it, and talked me into brewing the clone.

Gargoyle said:
Brewed up a dead guy clone, which is now carbed in the keg and ready to go, so i just couldn't resist the side by side comparison.

DeadGuy3.JPG
[/url]

Left is the original, right is mine. myself and 2 friends had a hard time telling them apart. I am so happy with this brew, i will probably have to keep it on tap permanently.

This is usually one of my "house brews"...Everyone loves it...Ive done it extract only at this point, but it may be one of the first AG that I do...Maybe this weekend if my LHBS has the hops...They didnt last time.

A friend of mine is the Manager there ( Ruby Tuesday's ) So I get a really good deal on food and drinks....:)
I think I will brew this also this weekend....Thanks

I brewed a DG clone, turned out real good. Didnt dry hop so it didnt taste the same

So gargoyle, how did yours turn out? I'm drinking the first one from my batch...It's still a little early, but damn, it tastes close...

I can't wait to brew it again with actual Pac Man yeast that I've been harvesting from bottles.

What I can't figure out though, it's my understanding that the "official" clone kits have a pound of candy sugar included...I'm wondering what the rest of the ingredients iare, and how they differ from this clone....hmmm....

This brew got better with a bit of age, and i say a bit, due to the fact, the corny emptied pretty damn quick...:mug:

I enjoy this brew so much, i am basically making it the house brew, and will always have a tap reserved just for it.

thanks again Yooper!

Cheers

That looks good! I think I need to brew it again next week. I haven't made it in a while, so I think it's time. I don't have pacman yeast, so I'll probably use 1056.

Thanks for the pictures.

Pacman is being sold in limited quantities right now. Of course, before I found that out I cultured some from a Shakespeare Stout. Kilted Brewer made a 5 gallon starter for me :D

That looks good! I think I need to brew it again next week. I haven't made it in a while, so I think it's time. I don't have pacman yeast, so I'll probably use 1056.

Thanks for the pictures.

My LHBS surprisingly recommended 1338 Euro Ale Yeast rather than 1056...It was slow to take off and seemed to get stuck around 1.020 (if I recall) for a couple weeks (I was away for a couple of days and we had a cold snap and my loft dropped into the 50's)So I re-roused the yeast and wrapped a blanket around it, and it finished nicely.

I left it on the yeastcake for a month and I can't believe how clean and clear it is...It's like a ruby jewel. It tastes amazing, really crisp.

I now have 1 mason jar of harvested packman and another going on my stirplate... Yooper perhaps if I get motivated to make some slants rather than just leaving yeast slurries in mason jars in my fridge, I'll send you a couple tubes of good ole...
pacman.gif

Pacman is being sold in limited quantities right now. Of course, before I found that out I cultured some from a Shakespeare Stout. Kilted Brewer made a 5 gallon starter for me :D

The guy at my LHBS called his distributor and he was told that it was only being sold with the Brewcraft Deadguy kits....Have you ACTUALLY seen loose packs of pacman? People keep saying it BUT my LHBS is one of the largest in Michigan, and if they can't get it loose then I'm thinking it's just a brewing rumor that people keep perpetuating...:confused:

rogue_dead_guy.jpg

I just noticed this on Brewer's outpost where I got the brewcraft pic...

We are currently out of Pacman Liquid Ale Yeast. Rogue Dead Guy Ale Kits will come with WYeast 1056 California Ale Yeast.

I just used teh googlz to see if there was any news about new pacman releases and still there's nothing about it on the interwebs...So I'm thinking it's just another rumor....

I just searched Wyeast website....And there's no word of them releasing it...

Here's their upcoming schedule...Which most of us already have heard about...

April - June 2008 Private Collection

Wyeast 2575PC
Kolsch II

An authentic Kolsch strain from one of Germany’s leading brewing schools. The rich flavor profile accentuates a soft malt finish. Low or no detectable diacetyl production. Will also ferment well at colder temperatures for fast lager type beers.

Attenuation 73-77%
Alc. Tolerance 10%
Flocculation low
Temperature Range 55-70ºF (13-21ºC)

Wyeast 2450PC
Denny’s Favorite 50

A mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn, this terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any style beer. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and helps accentuate the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuating. A great yeast for extract brewers and for fruit beers.

Attenuation 74-76%
Alc. Tolerance 10%
Flocculation low
Temperature Range 60-70ºF (15-21ºC)

Wyeast 3763PC
Roeselare Ale Blend

A blend of lambic cultures including lactic bacteria. Produces beers with a complex, earthy profile and distinct pie cherry sourness from a Brettanomyces culture. Aging for up to 18 months is required for full flavor profile and acidity to develop. Will produce a very dry profile due to super-attenuative nature of mixed cultures.

Attenuation 80%+
Alc. Tolerance 11%
Flocculation variable
Temperature Range 65-85ºF (18-30ºC)

So I guess we should keep bottle harvesting....

You know, I'm an idiot! A couple of days ago, we just drank a 22 ouncer of Dead Guy I got in a beer swap. Did I even remember to save the yeast? NO! I bought the ingredients already, of course- but didn't even think about the pacman yeast! Duh! Good thing my yeast refrigerator has 1056 in it.
Revvy- if you ever start your slant hobby- you let me know!

"Begin thread jack"

Revvy,
You said that you get the Dead Guy at a Ruby Tuesdays on 26 mile. I have never had Dead Guy Ale before, and I would love to give it a try. Since I live on 24 mile (and Hayes) I was thinking about giving it a shot. I am thinking it must be out more towards the Gratiot (sp?) way since I haven't been that way in a number of years. Is the one you are talking about out this way?

"End thread jack"

You know, I'm an idiot! A couple of days ago, we just drank a 22 ouncer of Dead Guy I got in a beer swap. Did I even remember to save the yeast? NO! I bought the ingredients already, of course- but didn't even think about the pacman yeast! Duh! Good thing my yeast refrigerator has 1056 in it.
Revvy- if you ever start your slant hobby- you let me know!

I may use some of my "economic stimulus" extra money to buy a pack of slants and a burner this week...So I may have some slants to send you next week, I'll pm you for your address if I do...If you were closer to my neck of the state I'd just give you a jar of sludge....

What I've been doing if I have a rogue, even if I'm not ready to harvest, is to leave a couple of inches of beer in the bottom, then flame or give the mouth of the bottle a blast of sanitizer and re-cap, then I stick it in the fridge until I'm ready to grow usually- 2-3 days....This last batch I ended up with 4bombers with yeasties when I was ready...

"Begin thread jack"

Revvy,
You said that you get the Dead Guy at a Ruby Tuesdays on 26 mile. I have never had Dead Guy Ale before, and I would love to give it a try. Since I live on 24 mile (and Hayes) I was thinking about giving it a shot. I am thinking it must be out more towards the Gratiot (sp?) way since I haven't been that way in a number of years. Is the one you are talking about out this way?

"End thread jack"

Unfortunately, 2 weeks ago when I went in they were out and told me that they were not planning to carry it again...grrrrr...

The Ruby's is on Gratiot and 23 mile road....

I'm trying to think of a beer store up your way that would carry it....If you come up Port Huron way you can get bottles of it at a couple beer stores here...

Have you ACTUALLY seen loose packs of pacman?

Indeed I have, and that's why I mentioned it. My LHBS is (or was, I haven't been there in a few weeks) selling the Wyeast packets loose in the hop cooler. It's the only Wyeast they sell, every other liquid yeast is White Labs. I guess there's advantages to living so close to Hood River, OR where Wyeast is based out of.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe we should start setting up some kind of a yeast swap. Or maybe a beer/yeast swap, where we can trade seasonal yeasts for other hard to find yeasts, or trade beer.

Indeed I have, and that's why I mentioned it. My LHBS is (or was, I haven't been there in a few weeks) selling the Wyeast packets loose in the hop cooler. It's the only Wyeast they sell, every other liquid yeast is White Labs. I guess there's advantages to living so close to Hood River, OR where Wyeast is based out of.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe we should start setting up some kind of a yeast swap. Or maybe a beer/yeast swap, where we can trade seasonal yeasts for other hard to find yeasts, or trade beer.

I found out the deal over the weekend....The much wanted Pacman is ONLY available through HBS's and Online through authorized Brewcraft distrubitors. So that means that if your store, (like the lhbs that I frequent) or favorite online retailer doesn't carry other Brewcraft products, then we are SOL....

I'm glad my harvesting is successful....I have an amber ale fermenting right now that I used some of my pacman in. I have to say WOW....I aerated with my O2 setup and washed my sample with distilled water and pitched, and I had major airlock activity within a couple of hours!

Hopefully it will turn out great....I'm already planning to brew another batch of Yooper's Dead Guy Clone with the yeast in a couple weeks.

I like your idea of a yeast swap...I'm trying ot lay my hands on some small test tubes to make up some slants (I promised Yooper I'd send her some.)

Evil, what the heck is your new AV, it looks like someone smashing a brown growler of beer into their face!?!

I can't imagine they would be two year old packs in the backyard of wyeast. Do they get any other special strains the rest of us are not?

I did a dead guy inspired ale that I have been enjoying quite a bit lately...though with 2565 Kolsch.

I brewed yoopers Dead Guy Ale clone on Friday the 13th. I named it, "13 Dead Guys Ale" in honor. It is now racked to the secondary and I can't wait for bottling day!! Thanks for the recipe! A friend di it months ago and it was spot on! Salute!!

Now that's a zombie. Over three years in the dirt.
Glad to hear about your beer though!

Back