Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Whirlpool IC (with new stainless fittings) and Toolbox March Pump (pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Whirlpool IC (with new stainless fittings) and Toolbox March Pump (pics)

I hope you don't have dialup or a small screen, because these are kinda big.

So about a month and a half ago, I built my whirlpool IC using stuff from Lowes and a few things from NB. Brewed three batches with it, and really like it.

Well, an awesome mf'er from the other forum sent me all this beautiful stainless stuff for free. Thing was, it was coming from Canadia, which meant it took a whole month to arrive. A MONTH! But for free, it was worth the wait. So, here's what he sent:

I also ordered 3 sets of 90 degree QD's from McM-C, two for the march pump, one for the valve:

I also took an idea from, I believe, ryanpa, and modded my brewing toolbox with the march pump:

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Last night, I got the couplings to attach the QD's to the pump, and was able to finalize everything (including swapping out the stainless stuff for the brass). Tested the pump install out, and it works perfectly:

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Here's the inside of the kettle:

Which would normally be connected to the IC's recirc arm:

So there she is. I'm really happy with this setup so far, and I really like the toolbox mod---it's perfect for people, like me, who like to be mobile, rather than have a big sculpture. And the whirlpool IC got 11 gallons of wort from boiling to 65f in 13 minutes on its inaugural run. The only thing I'll need to do differently in the summer is break out my sump pump so I can pump icewater through the chiller coil. Oh, and yeah, I need one of those switched GFCI power strips from Lowes, so as to not shock the sh*t outta myself.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 02-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

It looks great Evan! I like the idea of protecting the motor from spillage. I would suggest drilling lots of holes in the sides of the toolbox or perhaps mounting a small fan in there. Cooling the motor is very important, just look at the size fan that is in the motor. The pump heads are not that expensive which means its the motors that are so pricey.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looking good, and I now have SS envy, you bastard.

I'll be running a CFC with the same toolbox pump mod, once the pump arrives next week. Looking at the CFC, I may need to pick up a few more parts from Lowe's and McM-C to finish this bitch up.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Yeah, I'm thinking about drilling some speed holes in it. A fan...well...given all the liquid splashing around, I'd like to keep electric components to a minimum.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 02-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

You have plenty of room in the box. I was thinking a small box fan mounted to the inside blowing out. That way heat would be vented and any incidental drops of water that came in through the intake holes would drip to the bottom instead of being spun around inside by the fan. I think I understand what speedholes are but the link didn't work.

planning- Cru?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
You have plenty of room in the box. I was thinking a small box fan mounted to the inside blowing out. That way heat would be vented and any incidental drops of water that came in through the intake holes would drip to the bottom instead of being spun around inside by the fan. I think I understand what speedholes are but the link didn't work.
Odd, do you have urbandictionary.com blocked at your office or something? The link works for me. Speed holes are from the Simpsons---Homer used a pickaxe to put a bunch of holes in the hood of his car to make it go faster. Speed holes.

As for the fan, what I meant was that it's just another electric component that will be around water. And I'd have to have some kind of power converter, and it just seems like a lot of crap to go through. I'm not running that motor for that long at a time. 15 minutes maybe. I ran it for 10 minutes last night, and when I opened the toolbox, there wasn't any residual heat, and the unit wasn't that hot.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 02-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

UD was very slow loading for some reason. I recirc during the entire mash and my pump gets hot enough you don't want to pick it up. The first 150* is from wort heat transfer. I do like your design and will probably copy it (with the fan addition). I will power the fan with a $10 plugin transformer coming off the pump pigtail. Thanks for the inspiration.

planning- Cru?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
UD was very slow loading for some reason. I recirc during the entire mash and my pump gets hot enough you don't want to pick it up. The first 150* is from wort heat transfer. I do like your design and will probably copy it (with the fan addition). I will power the fan with a $10 plugin transformer coming off the pump pigtail. Thanks for the inspiration.
If you do that extra step, please let me know. If it's not too bulky or complicated, I'm game.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Quick Reply