Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Ultimate home brewery.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #61
OEHokie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm curious as to whether you guys use insulation on your setups:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
Currently I use 2 ea. 2500 watt elements in my brewery. 5000 watts to boil then maintain with 2500. They are more than enough for a 5 gallon batch and will do the job for a 10 gallon batch. I do find myself wishing for another 1000 watts to get 10 gallons up to boil.
You should have plenty of power there. I'm not familiar with your setup, but do you have insulation around your boil kettle? Adding even an inch around it DRAMATICALLY decreases the heat loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
I think we are going ape chit with elements. The 4500W Bk has an insane boil rate, close to 2 gph. Though I don't think I want anything less than that for 10gal batches. 5500W is like shootin for the moon

I am using a 1250W element in my RIMS and it is barely enough power, It takes a long time to get temps up to mash and mash out, and I sure as heck am not doing any step mashing with it. I know you use a 1500W unit and that may be the magic number.

We're still kind of pioneering it. When I started I was preached to about the horrors of scorching my wort and extra caramelization making a darker beer. I think we debunked most of that. Still a lot of fine details to work out
Ditto the insulation comment. I'll be doing a lot of experimentation with heating element powers (trying not to use 240V power).

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I use 5500W elements in my HLT and BK (10 gal system). I wouldn't go with less, given the choice. Gets to temp quickly. Boils are quick, and with the PID in manual mode, I only run about 70% average power to the element to maintain a good rolling boil.
Ditto

Cheers,

OEH

Primary:
Secondary:
On Tap: Pumpkin Ale, Porter
Previous Kegged: Imperial Brown, Smoked Porter, IPA (x3), Coffee Stout (x2), Octoberfest (x2), American Honey Ale (x2)

Sub Brewery (old, going to start a new thread with the 3rd revision): http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...atches-185796/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #62
luvmy40
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEHokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy40
Currently I use 2 ea. 2500 watt elements in my brewery. 5000 watts to boil then maintain with 2500. They are more than enough for a 5 gallon batch and will do the job for a 10 gallon batch. I do find myself wishing for another 1000 watts to get 10 gallons up to boil.

You should have plenty of power there. I'm not familiar with your setup, but do you have insulation around your boil kettle? Adding even an inch around it DRAMATICALLY decreases the heat loss.
No, I do not have either keggle insulated. I am using two 220V hockey stick submersion heaters. Once I have heated my sparge water I transfer them to the boil. I really do have plenty of power. I'm just impatient!

*TANSTAAFL*
The best things in are NOT free. They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #63
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

OEH, my MLT wouldn't get to temps period until I put 2 wraps of reflectix on it.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #64
OEHokie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
OEH, my MLT wouldn't get to temps period until I put 2 wraps of reflectix on it.
Interesting

Primary:
Secondary:
On Tap: Pumpkin Ale, Porter
Previous Kegged: Imperial Brown, Smoked Porter, IPA (x3), Coffee Stout (x2), Octoberfest (x2), American Honey Ale (x2)

Sub Brewery (old, going to start a new thread with the 3rd revision): http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...atches-185796/

Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #65
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3480 Times on 2154 Posts
Likes Given: 2987

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEHokie View Post
Mine's going right now. No insulation on my BK. I have my element at 80%, which is a little higher than normal. It's a little colder than normal in Florida right now! 40 degF! You can just see the steam blowing off in the pic below.

In the summer, I run my 5500W element at 70%.

Reason: Added 1000 more words (picture)

Old 01-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #66
Reinheitsgebot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehr View Post
Your in luck man it's 110v so you won't even have to rewire so come and get it.

Thanks Pat
Again, really nice set-up. Do you have a plan for it, or could you tell me more about the electrical stuff?

Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #67
Reinheitsgebot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Reinheitsgebot, I would be interested in learning more about the pricing and shipping on that German setup as well. 5 gallon.
They are just getting back to work this coming week. Folks in Germany are off between Christmas and the 6th. I will call them this week.
I know you'd save the 19% sales tax that is included in the price. However, the shipping (and whatever taxes Uncle Sam might want) will most likely make up for it again.

Group order? Or do you think TSA will notice/say anything if I brings some back in my carry-on?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #68
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinheitsgebot View Post
They are just getting back to work this coming week. Folks in Germany are off between Christmas and the 6th. I will call them this week.
I know you'd save the 19% sales tax that is included in the price. However, the shipping (and whatever taxes Uncle Sam might want) will most likely make up for it again.

Group order? Or do you think TSA will notice/say anything if I brings some back in my carry-on?
Hahaha. I'm ready!

Old 01-10-2010, 02:25 AM   #69
khanti
Recipes 

Depending on the final cost, and if folks wouldn't mind waiting a few months to execute it, I'd be in for the 10+ gal version. I appreciate you looking into it for us, Reinheitsgebot!

Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #70
beefeater
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Those Speidels have become very popular in Norway the last couple of years.
I don't own one myself but It is tempting..

There's a lenghty discussion on one of the Norwegian homebrewing boards:
http://www.bryggeri.net/viewtopic.ph...r=asc&start=30
Obviously in Norwegian but with lots of pictures.

They're getting very good efficiency (high 80's) when they add about one (for the 20l) or two (for the 50l) gallons of extra sparge water.

Quick Reply