The story so far...
Here's a few pics of my first batch and general brewing 'story' so far.
Mrs bought me an extract kit for Xmas and once my brew pot arrived I got stuck in!
3mins in to brew day after adding 1/3 of the extract. Partial boil - 2 gallons
After cooling for 30mins outside I added the wort to 3 gallons of cold top off water in the fermenter and stirred it in. Added a blow off hose to be on the safe side.
Moving to secondary after 2 weeks.
Big tub of starsan! Only about 3 inches full though.
7 boxes of 12oz bottles all clean and ready for bottle day
Trub left from moving from primary to secondary
Very basic setup in my basement! (Only renting atm and kitchen is tiny. Everything I use is cleaned and sanitized thoroughly before & after use and it does the job.)
RDWHAHB - Dogfish Head 60minute IPA
The Mrs got a 'delux' kit which came with the glass carboy and one bucket which doubles as primary/bottling bucket. This is why I've moved the wort to secondary after 2 weeks. In the future I'll probably just use the carboy as primary and the plastic bucket for bottling. I'll probably get my hands on a couple of other buckets and carboys in a few weeks. :D
My OG was 1.044 and the SG before moving to secondary was 1.027. I'm expecting to end up around 1.012 or so.
Nice, welcome to the obsession! :rockin:
It's best not to rack to secondary until the beer hits FG. The beer can be just as clear coming out of primary if allowed to hit FG,then 3-7 more days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty before racking to bottling bucket & priming.
If the beer can be just as clear then to me it makes no difference lol. Although I probably will leave it an extra 4 or 5 days before moving it to secondary for my next batch.
Checked SG yesterday and it was 1.012 which is what I was aiming for. Just checked it there and it's 1.011 so I'll check again tomorrow and see where it's at.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 05:59 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.