Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > St. Patty's Swamp Water (green beer thread)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #61
TwoFortySX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I had a few of these guys yesterday so here is my take on the final product.

The beer is undoubtedly young, and needs conditioned longer. The carbonation level was good and the head was nice and foamy. However, The color was a disappointment to me but the beer itself was good. I took the beer that wasn't drank yesterday and put it back into the boxes, and back in the closet for some more aging.

What I learned was that over time food coloring will settle out of the beer if you add it at any stage of the process. I lost color with each stage but the most was during primary fermentation. If I swirled the sediment at the bottom of the bottles into suspension before pouring the pour it had a more green color. So my final opinion is that it is a waste of time to add food coloring to beer at any point before it is poured

I think my next experiment is going to be trying to change the color of a light beer with a natural source.

Thanks!
Jimmy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #62
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatkins56550 View Post
Nice. I have a German Vienna I'm kegging today, but I'll be adding food coloring to each pint glass rather than a whole keg.... Because let's face it, who wants green beer after st pattys day??

So if I remember correctly, blue and yellow make green right? So what about using blue food coloring in my yellow beer?
That is the best way to add coloring to be beer. I really do not mind drinking green beer after St. Patty's Day, because in the end it is still beer BUT I can see that some might be turned off by the color.

I would say that you could add blue coloring to make it green. It would probably take much less blue coloring to make it green than it would green coloring to make it the same color green.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #63
jhenderson27
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Glad to hear it was good. Brewing it this weekend time permitting between my allgrain pale and finishing up racecars.

Go Big or Go Home!

It's not speed that kills, its the sudden stop that tends to hurt!

Big Gulp eh, Well See ya Later!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #64
bmantzey
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFortySX View Post
I think my next experiment is going to be trying to change the color of a light beer with a natural source.
Try mold. :P

Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #65
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

as a response to some of the earlier douche baggery. whats wrong with green poop? wipe it off, flush and forget it. unless im missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #66
DrNuBingTon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFortySX View Post
I made a recipe for a St. Patricks day Light Lager that I never ended up brewing that used Blue corn in hopes of creating green beer. I think you've inspired me to try it for next year!

"Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly." - Winston Churchill

Old 04-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #67
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I decided to cool some of these down to drink today. They have been conditioning since March 12th so they have had 10 days plus an addition 20 so one month of conditioning at this point. I am pretty excited to see I have in these bottles of mine.

I will update this again in a couple hours when I crack some beers open to watch Pittsburgh Pirates start their domination

EDIT:

here is that she looks like cracked open in the bottle. Nice and Clear!

Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #68
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Here is the pour! A shot glass you ask? well I am playing power hour this afternoon. I am about 30 minutes in.

The beer is alright. It has touch more bitterness than a typical BMC. I will say that the Brewers Best American Light kit was made to resemble Miller Light except it is an ale and not a lager.

To be honest, as far as taste, color and carbonation and the whole deal coming together this is my best beer yet.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #69
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i like to drink from a shot glass too. makes me feel like a giant. plus i can drink like a hundred of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #70
jhenderson27
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Brewed this awhile back minus green color. Beer is perfectly clear, crisp and refreshing. Just in time to mow the lawn

Go Big or Go Home!

It's not speed that kills, its the sudden stop that tends to hurt!

Big Gulp eh, Well See ya Later!

Quick Reply