Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > St. Patty's Swamp Water (green beer thread)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #21
RMitch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFortySX View Post
Thanks. Point taken. Add me to your list of ignorant American's that use St. Patrick and pseudo-Irish pride as an excuse to get belligerently drunk in public.
Patty, Paddy, what's the difference? It all sounds the same where I come from.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #22
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhermetz View Post
yeah I don't want to bash this idea but I will say that I "grew out" of wanting to drink green beer on St.Patty's day when I **** green the next day.

I agree with the statement Stout > Green.

I tend to associate green beer with that of drunken Frats/douche baggery now.
I can understand your point of view. The idea that celebrating St. Patrick's day with a traditional Irish style beer is something I can agree with. And, yes, I know a lot of fraternity douche bags will be coloring Miller Lite or Coors Light green and dressing like leprechauns.

I am not sure how other cities in America celebrate St. Patrick's day but Pittsburgh has always had a huge parade and made a huge day out of it. I would guess it is due to the huge amount of Irish immigrants that lived here. I wouldn't say they condone the amount of drinking in the streets that goes on but I would say that they dont try to hamper it.

As long as I have been able to drink and even before that, St. Patrick's day has been highly anticipated. My friends and I always celebrate with traditional types of food and drinks. I always make a huge amount of corned beef, potatoes and cabbage for people to eat. Last year we drank Jameson Irish whiskey and Guinness while we watched Boondock Saints.

So this year creating a beer that will be green out of the bottle is something that I want to be able to surprise my friends with. Its not going to be exclusively the only beer. I am sure that someone will bring a good stout to the party.

I have yet to understand how adding a slight bit of color to a beer that is essentially just an average homebrew can cause so many people to act is if I am breaking one of the ten commandments.

The reason I decided to even document the process or post information on this site about it was because I know there are a lot of people that want to try it. But they are too meek to ask on here for fear of being bashed to death without getting any real answers.

So, again, to each there own. I brew for my friends, family and myself. If green beer will will excite them and they will enjoy it then I am going to do it. This site has a wealth of information and I have learned so much from just searching and lurking here. It also has a lot of people who are stubborn and stuck in the "traditional" ways that beer should be made and consumed. If you want to split hairs, without people going outside of the realm of what is generally accepted there would have been very few advancements in the drink that we love. I am not saying that adding green food coloring is by any means a breakthrough in home brewing but you get the point.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #23
hfmeehanjr
Recipes 

Well said, Jimmy. Do what we homebrewers do best, making beer we like, for the people we like.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #24
408Brewer
Recipes 

Good idea. Hopefully adding the color at the end will green it up and not make the end product look like early morning diarrhea. I hope it turns out OK. On the bright side, even if it does look like baby poop it should still taste fine.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #25
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'm adding my coloring at secondary mainly because that's when all activity has stopped and dropped out also so I can see what the final color will be... I'm only gonna keep it there for a week before I keg it..

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 02-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #26
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Brewer View Post
On the bright side, even if it does look like baby poop it should still taste fine.
That was one of the thoughts that lead me to the decision to even try it. Even if it looks like swamp water, it is still going to be an okay beer in the end.

On a side note, I have been brainstorming my Easter beer. I think I have narrowed it down to an IPA of some sort that I am going to call Floppy Ear IPA because its going to have a lot of HOPS!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:57 AM   #27
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I really want to see how this looks in a pint glass

Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #28
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Probably should have waited until bottling/kegging to add the food coloring.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #29
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweaty View Post
Probably should have waited until bottling/kegging to add the food coloring.
Probably.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #30
tmurph6
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

At this point you probably want to get it as clear as possible and drop everything out before adding more dye. Have u considered cold crashing it for a few days, or adding some gelatin at secondary?

Quick Reply