Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Samuel Smith Oatmeal Sout clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
BeerPressure
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Samuel Smith Oatmeal Sout clone

extract oatmeal stout clone. its been in the bottle 3 weeks so far.

It is pretty close to the real thing, some longer bottle conditioning would help i think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks nice, how long has it been in the bottle?

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Only 3 weeks. I am considering aging it longer.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
creole_hops
Recipes 

any chance your willing to post the recipe? Im looking for a Sam SMith Oatmeal clone.
Thanks

Old 02-17-2009, 01:42 AM   #5
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It was the austin homebrew kit.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
xybreeder
Recipes 

Hi BeerPressue - First, congrats on being the recipient of my first post/lucky you! I just got finished brewing my first (solo) batch, an AHS American IPA, which came out fantastic! I followed the AHS recipe instructions TO A Tee (I didn't want to blame any bad results on not following the prescribed process). So now I'm on brew #2, the AHS Sam Smith Oat Stout clone, and I had a couple of quick questions for ya since I saw you brewed it (only 1.5 yrs ago )...

1) Tomorrow makes day 7 in Primary, she's still fermenting pretty good based on the bubble rate. Did you follow the AHS recipe w.r.t. timing in Primary/Secondary? All the reading I'm doing on stouts suggests keeping it in the primary/secondary longer than what AHS says (1 week Primary/1 week Secondary).

2) So how did yours turn out/any recommendations based on your experience with this kit?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xybreeder View Post
Hi BeerPressue - First, congrats on being the recipient of my first post/lucky you! I just got finished brewing my first (solo) batch, an AHS American IPA, which came out fantastic! I followed the AHS recipe instructions TO A Tee (I didn't want to blame any bad results on not following the prescribed process). So now I'm on brew #2, the AHS Sam Smith Oat Stout clone, and I had a couple of quick questions for ya since I saw you brewed it (only 1.5 yrs ago )...

1) Tomorrow makes day 7 in Primary, she's still fermenting pretty good based on the bubble rate. Did you follow the AHS recipe w.r.t. timing in Primary/Secondary? All the reading I'm doing on stouts suggests keeping it in the primary/secondary longer than what AHS says (1 week Primary/1 week Secondary).

2) So how did yours turn out/any recommendations based on your experience with this kit?
I only used a primary and left it in there for about 3 weeks then bottled it. I cant really remember too much about the beer except that it was good.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #8
xybreeder
Recipes 

Thx BP, think I'm going to go 1.5 weeks Primary, 1.5 weeks Secondary (and of course, let the ole Hydrometer seal the deal). Cheers!

No beer.. will ever be our beer...
For those about to brew... WE SALUTE YOU!!
Bru Dat Beer Club Co-Founder

Quick Reply