Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Request for a sticky: Tutorial on Beer Photography (Beer in a glass)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #11
eric19312
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19312 View Post
Lol serious thread resurrection attempt here. Has anyone used one of these homemade light boxes to shoot homebrew? Please post....
OK so I built the light box and took a couple pictures. Please critique. Thanks!

beer12large-4499.jpg

beer14large-4500.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
eric19312
Recipes 

beer14large-v2-4501.jpg

one more shot of beer 14, left side light held at a different angle.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #13
Tupperwolf
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

A friend of mine who is into home brewing and photography shared this on facebook the other day.

http://fstoppers.com/behind-the-scen...er-photo-shoot

Old 03-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #14
eric19312
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperwolf
A friend of mine who is into home brewing and photography shared this on facebook the other day.

http://fstoppers.com/behind-the-scen...er-photo-shoot
Wow!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #15
eric19312
Recipes 

OK while not anywhere near Tupperware's friend's league I made some improvements for a second beer shoot today.

I added a third light source (now lit left, top and right, with the right light source being new) and changed from my 50mm 1.4 lens to my 70-200 4L which I believe captures color better. I also added a polarizing filter to get rid of the reflection on the front of the glass. Note the light box is open front, tissue paper walls left, right, ceiling, and I've got a piece of white poster board taped to the rear wall, curving down to the floor. I'm shooting the glass with the logo to the rear as a measure of the clarity of the beer.

While I think this is real progress, I am now wondering what to do about the shadow reflections in the back of the glass. Do I need a bright light source behind the camera? Can I get away with using an on camera 430EX for that?

Or is it possible I can fix it with further adjustment of the polarizer?

Tupperware any chance you can get your friend to look at my amateur efforts?

I am not doing this for product advertising but looking to use these as a permenant record for my brewers log. So as boring as these are I like the predictability and repeatability of the technique of using the box. If I can't do any better than this I am still pretty happy with what I've got.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #16
eric19312
Recipes 

Quote:
If I can't do any better than this I am still pretty happy with what I've got.
LOL just finished watching the video on that website Tuperware linked. Nice equipment he is using! I know it is the photographer that makes the picture, not the equipment, but wow there is a lot of gear that went into getting that picture just right.

SWMBO was watching me work on these pictures and commented that it is cute that I am combining my hobbies. Heh if she thought a 10 gallon BK was a big investment wonder what she will make of the Hasselblad...

Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 AM   #17
eric19312
Recipes 

Default progress

Hi-not sure if I'm talking to myself here but I've made some progress with my lighting. Same beers as before...16 and 17. This time I moved one of my side lights to the front. You can see it's reflection..need to fix that. And I also shined a bright focused flashlight on the background.

As before any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #18
hafmpty
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm not a professional. Just a hobbyist. But after watching Zack Arias' OneLight seminar, I was struck by the "mood" you can get with just one light depending on it's placement. His seminar had to do with human subjects, but I think about it with other stuff too. Here's a picture I shot with a simple light shining up through the glass.

From your pictures, you know what you're going for. It's just a matter of experimenting. If you are just going for clarity shots, cool. For me, I like photos with a little "artsy fartsy" in them. Regardless though, keep shooting & brewing.

dsc_0095-copy.jpg  

Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 AM   #19
eric19312
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafmpty View Post
I'm not a professional. Just a hobbyist. But after watching Zack Arias' OneLight seminar, I was struck by the "mood" you can get with just one light depending on it's placement. His seminar had to do with human subjects, but I think about it with other stuff too. Here's a picture I shot with a simple light shining up through the glass.

From your pictures, you know what you're going for. It's just a matter of experimenting. If you are just going for clarity shots, cool. For me, I like photos with a little "artsy fartsy" in them. Regardless though, keep shooting & brewing.
That is an awesome pic. Thanks for understanding what I'm going for. As you can see I shoot my glass in reverse to show clarity. Seems like there might be a better way as it clearly detracts from the art...

Can you provide a link to the seminar you referenced. Don't think I've seen it.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:10 AM   #20
hafmpty
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
That is an awesome pic. Thanks for understanding what I'm going for. As you can see I shoot my glass in reverse to show clarity. Seems like there might be a better way as it clearly detracts from the art...

Can you provide a link to the seminar you referenced. Don't think I've seen it.
You may be on to something that shooting in reverse detracts. It might be better to buy something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PKHD9U/

You'd have a clear glass for many/most of the different styles. As to the OneLight seminar here's a link:

http://zackarias.com/workshop/onelight-dvd/

Quick Reply