Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Photos from first ONE gallon brew day...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
DubbelDach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Couple of quick and easy additions:

Bottling bucket...

With dip tube. Only leaves 3 ounces in the bucket...

And I built the mash tun a dedicated manifold, of that will stay together and doesn't make me cannibalize my big boy manifold. Only leaves 7 ounces in the bottom of the cooler.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #22
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

That is one nice looking minifold

Old 01-27-2011, 05:48 AM   #23
DoctorDuvel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 27

nice shots!

i brewed a one-gallon SMaSH the other day...i think i'm gonna end up with a good beer, but i'm gonna have to adopt your mashing method - trying to keep a steady temp. in a pot on the stove for 1+ gallon was a pain in the a$$!! (thought i could escape using a mash tun)

overall though, i love the one-gallon brews - very inexpensive and endless test batches!!

hey Dubbel, this might be a dumb question, but how exactly does that dip tube work?

I brew a lot.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #24
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDuvel View Post

i'll be using a one gallon glass jug, and i was wondering: is there a good substitute for the rubber stopper? since it has a strong rubber odor which might impact such a small batch - or is it a non-issue?

sweet project, Dubbel
I use rubber stoppers in my Better Bottle and it kind of sucks when I'm trying to get a quick smell of the beer because all I'll get is rubber stopper smell. It's never affected the taste in any way, though.

However, that's a 6 gallon Better Bottle.

My friend had some peach wine (had, because we dumped it down the drain two nights ago) that was kept in a growler with a rubber stopper for an extended period of time and ALL you could taste was rubber stopper. Technically the wine should have never touched that stopper either, as it was always upright - but it was terrible. I don't know if it was the batch size or some other factor - but it was there and it tasted like licking stopper.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #25
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDuvel View Post
overall though, i love the one-gallon brews - very inexpensive and endless test batches!!

hey Dubbel, this might be a dumb question, but how exactly does that dip tube work?
Not at all... So it's a standard ale pail bottling valve... Then I used a rubber stopper smashed in there real good... And then I hacksawed a plastic racking cane and put that in the stopper. When there is a tube, in this case a bottling wand, hanging lower than the dip tube, then it creates a siphon. That pulls the beer up and out and I only leave 3 oz in the bucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
I use rubber stoppers in my Better Bottle and it kind of sucks when I'm trying to get a quick smell of the beer because all I'll get is rubber stopper smell. It's never affected the taste in any way, though.

My friend had some peach wine (had, because we dumped it down the drain two nights ago) that was kept in a growler with a rubber stopper for an extended period of time and ALL you could taste was rubber stopper. Technically the wine should have never touched that stopper either, as it was always upright - but it was terrible. I don't know if it was the batch size or some other factor - but it was there and it tasted like licking stopper.
I stand corrected! I have never experienced this...

Old 01-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #26
Burgs
Recipes 

And believe you me DubbelDach, I've licked a few stoppers in my time.

Wait... what?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #27
Burgs
Recipes 

In all seriousness, I think I'm getting the itch to do more frequent small batches as well... thanks for your posts and pics!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #28
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

Hmm... I guess I'm going to have to do a shorter primary time for my RIS... I was going to leave it for a few months then bottle.. maybe I'll just leave it for a month..

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #29
DoctorDuvel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

ah, thanks for the reply, Dubbel!

I brew a lot.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #30
DoctorDuvel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

btw, i was short a rubber stopper and used the foil method with pin pricks...seems to be working fine - think i'll stick with it for the one-gallon jobs

I brew a lot.

Quick Reply