Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Photos from first ONE gallon brew day...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 01:24 AM   #11
rexbanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummkauf View Post
How much boil off did you have with that small of a batch? I'm assuming the 30 min boil is to adjust for this, but wouldn't you get different hop utilizations by boiling less? Also, why the shorter mash, don't the sugars convert the same whether it's 12lbs of grain or 3Lbs?

Not bashing your methods, I'm just curious how this works and how larger batches compare when you scale them up to 5 gallons(or higher). I've been thinking about this lately too and I'm just not understanding the shorter times.
Ever tried hop bursting? Essentially what he's doing. Do you mean you utilize less by boiling less volume, or for less time? Speaking personally, I've noticed that you don't quite get exactly the utilization that a program such as Beersmith would suggest when hop bursting a 5 gallon batch. You do, however, get lots of hop flavor. The beers I tried this on were not trying to conform to any style guidelines, and personally I like hop flavor and found these beers to be pretty delicious. No idea how it goes with a one gallon batch.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJohn View Post
It's so cute!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Are you gonna bottle these small batches then? Nice setup, I like it!
I am.... I figure I'll get 8 bottles or so? Since I usually keg everything and don't plan ahead, or use a beer gun, I figure this is a good way to produce some "best of" batches for a big contest... that I may or may not have heard of... soon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrer View Post
Where did you get those plastic fermentation buckets?
Local restaurant store... All kinds of sizes, ranging from clear to translucent (these) to white. And food-grade. I am realizing that they don't have a tight seal like an ale pail does (no gasket) but fermentation kicked off right away, so no worries. I drilled the airlock holes myself and added grommets.

Quote:
How much boil off did you have with that small of a batch? I'm assuming the 30 min boil is to adjust for this, but wouldn't you get different hop utilizations by boiling less? Also, why the shorter mash, don't the sugars convert the same whether it's 12lbs of grain or 3Lbs?
When I calculated my water, I told this: http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php my boil time and such, and it usually calculates everything pretty well on. The hefe has more volume, but I added some rice hulls and I think I overcompensated. The brown seems to be right on (2/3 of a 6 qt container = 4 qts or 1 gallon)

30 min boil was for speed... And I upped the amounts of that addition so that the recipes gave the same IBUs as the 5 gallon equivalent.

And the 45 min mash.... I've seen it done before and it worked well, so I went with it. I would not mash for less time than that. Would love to know if there's a scientific reason for doing at least 60...

Quote:
Not bashing your methods, I'm just curious how this works and how larger batches compare when you scale them up to 5 gallons(or higher). I've been thinking about this lately too and I'm just not understanding the shorter times.
Oh, I would never take it that way... In fact, I was hoping for more of that! This is new to me too, so this is definitely an experimental batch - I'm running with a lot of theory at this point - and hopefully I can dial in the methods better as I go. Thank you!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

neat!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #14
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

What was your efficiency?

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #15
K5MOW
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great pics.

Roger

primary: Cream Ale All Grain
Primary Canadian Ale
Primary: Caribou Slobber
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel
Primary: Caribou Slobber

Old 01-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #16
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think you should bottle it in those 6oz mini glass coke bottles.

-----------------------------------------------------
It's not a beer gut....I'm building a shed over my tool.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #17
BlackForestBrewery
Recipes 

That's really really cool man. I love seeing micro projects. I have a few 1 gallon glass bottles that would be perfect for a micro brew... hmmm

You have given me something to think about sir. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #18
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

You've inspired me!

Mine was a 1.5 gallon though..

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 01-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #19
DoctorDuvel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 25

looks like 1-gallon batches are hitting the airwaves, because i've become very excited about the idea, even before checking in here on HBT - i plan on doing one maybe tomorrow...

couple questions - i assume fermentation time will be shorter (avg. gravity of around 1050) compared to large batches thus a shorter time until bottling, is this true?

i'll be using a one gallon glass jug, and i was wondering: is there a good substitute for the rubber stopper? since it has a strong rubber odor which might impact such a small batch - or is it a non-issue?

sweet project, Dubbel

I brew a lot.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #20
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBrewer View Post
What was your efficiency?
Don't know... I was hoping that I could just float my hydrometer in one of these buckets, but I use a plastic hydro (have broken 4+ glass ones) and it touched the bottom. Didn't want to thief and lose any volume...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallHed View Post
You've inspired me!

Mine was a 1.5 gallon though..
Beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDuvel View Post
couple questions - i assume fermentation time will be shorter (avg. gravity of around 1050) compared to large batches thus a shorter time until bottling, is this true?

i'll be using a one gallon glass jug, and i was wondering: is there a good substitute for the rubber stopper? since it has a strong rubber odor which might impact such a small batch - or is it a non-issue?
Shorter only because of less volume, perhaps... I still have the hefe on primary and the brown is in 2ndary. I am hoping to bottle some night this week. I butchered my 3rd bucket, as I was trying to drill for a bottling valve. I think it was too cold and I should have used a hole saw instead of a spade bit... Anyway, just picked up another bucket today!

I would say a stopper is a non-issue... It's not touching the beer. If you feel better about it, sanitize some aluminum foil and loosely crimp it over the opening.

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Quick Reply