New All-Grain Equipment!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saintdog327

Reaction score
Hello friends,

Just posting to get some input / to show anyone out there they can get the basic essentials for all-grain homebrewing for around $120 (i understand this changes depending on location and that there is still some equipment missing) I just started all-grain and wanted to ease into it with some DIY stuff as it also gives you the chance to learn the mechanics of what you're doing, not just the chemistry! + I got kind of bored of extract :p (nothing against it of course! It made me the man I am today!)

The equipment:
The 13 gallon mash tub was $25 plus the water valve and extra parts ($20) totaling out to about $45 (could have gone much cheaper but decided i didn't want to roam around stores for the simpler parts). I got the 10 gallon kettle off craigslist for $30. That leaves about $35 for the copper chiller which will be $20 for the 20ft copper coil and about $15 for the sink-faucet adapter + 20 ft. of clear tubing. Below are pics of the mash tub and the kettle.

FYI:
I will be adding two more braided hoses parallel to the one shown so that I can collect more wort / work with water pressure in a more efficient manner. This might boost up the total about $15 Also, these prices are based on the notion that you have some basic handy tools; pliers, some sort of saw and/or dremel, flat-head screwdriver, basic white teflon tape.

Total = Approx. $120

Conclusion:
I'm sure some of you have gotten stuff cheaper. But for someone like me who sees Wort Chillers selling at my LHBS for $75 it's a no brainer. Last thing to mention, that bikini bottom you see in the last picture is a bottle opener I won at Yankee Swap on Christmas! haha. Had to point it out as someone was eventually going to!

Thank you,
Comments welcome :)

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

Score on the kettle! Mash tun (t-u-N) looks good, I personally need to upgrade to a round cooler because the square one is a pain to get the grain out of after a 16+ pound mash. Your build looks great though, thanks for the pics!

PS - Are you really planning to get a full-volume boil in that kettle on that electric range? I've heard that's hard going.

Is that braid stainless steel or plastic? It looks like the plastic hose braid.

mux said:
Is that braid stainless steel or plastic? It looks like the plastic hose braid.

Good eye! It does look like the plastic braid.

Nevermind the braid, what the hell is that thing on the counter in the last picture? Is that a bum and legs wearing a bikini bottom???

Anyway, Nice equipment!

Yup! It's his bikini bottom bottle opener from Yankee swap Christmas. I like it.

It is the polyester braid! I just grabbed it and threw it in the shopping bucket since they were all so damn shiny. Will it be a big problem in terms of contamination / hot water resistance? If it is I can change it out if need be...

And in terms of the bikini bottom, it was made in brazil and brought back from a friend of mine, dunno if they sell them here but I'm sure lord google will let you know lmao.

In response to the electric grill question: It's all i have atm :/ I CAN double up as the kettle is large enough to cover two swirls (whatever they're called lol). That might do the trick. Other than that i might just have to start brewing outside with propane and a burner. Any suggestions?

saintdog327 said:
In response to the electric grill question: It's all i have atm :/ I CAN double up as the kettle is large enough to cover two swirls (whatever they're called lol). That might do the trick. Other than that i might just have to start brewing outside with propane and a burner. Any suggestions?

I don't have any evidence, but the polyester braid could potentially leech harmful chemicals at mash temps. It could also collapse and then you have to deal with a stuck sparge. I'm no expert on plastics but the SS braid is tried and true.

Yea i see what you're saying. I squeeze the polyester braid with my fingers and it collapses....I'm assuming the SS is much stronger?

Thank you

The S'S braid can still collapse but it seems to work fine.

Search the forums for Heatsticks which you would be able to use indoors along with your electric stove.

Back